What are my options for creating VERY large parts?

I want to create an incredibly large(Tens or even hundreds of thousands of studs long) flat area, but there is a 2048 stud limit for part size. It needs to have collisions enabled. What are my options for doing something like this?

Duplicate part lot of time that should work I think
then you could maybe union all of them

1 Like

I was hoping this wasn’t the only solution.

You could try using the solution to this topic: How to make parts bigger than 2048?

I am aware of that solution, but it doesn’t expand the hitbox, only the visual appearance of the part. Thanks for the help!

Out of curiosity, what are you using this for?

I want to create a very, very large ocean floor that still can be walked on and collided with.

Duplicate them all and line them up as you need. There’s no need to union it. It’ll be 1 seamless baseplate.
If you’d like it to be terrain, use the part to terrain plug-in and turn it all to sand for your ocean floor.

1 Like

The best way to do this is create a 2048x2048 part, then add a mesh and configure the scale property to as big as you want it.

You can use Atmosphere, a lighting effect, to make the horizon line blend in with the ocean.

Methods suggested like unioning tons of parts is a terrible idea.

1 Like

The problem with the mesh option is it doesn’t actually affect the hitbox, and I need it to have collisions. I ended up going with just putting a ton of max size parts next to one another. I am aware that it is a terrible solution, but I can’t find a better one.

Does it need to be server collisions or client collisions?

You could theoretically create a script that moves a 2048x2048 box below them so it’ll have the illusion of having a collision.

I tried exactly that, but the floor collisions only existed when a player was nearby, and I wasn’t happy with that. Thank you for your time!

You can insert a mesh and mess with the scale to bypass the limit.

Unfortunately, meshes only affect the visual appearance of parts and not their actual hitboxes, and I need the actual hitbox to cover a large area. Thank you for your suggestion!

1 Like

Totally forgot about that. Sorry :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Why not have one part, of any size, with an infinitely large BlockMesh and then update a part’s position to have ocean floor collision for every player? It’ll look infinite while still providing the collision when needed. And depending on the collision block’s size, you wont even have to update it’s position very often to keep up with the player

This is confusing to me. What else is there to collide with the floor other than a player? And if no player is nearby, who will notice if there is no collision?

I have been experimenting with this method. A problem that I run into though is that if you make the scale too large the texture of the mesh becomes unstable and appears to flicker or vibrate. Is there a way around that? For example using this method to make a part appear 60,000 studs square causes this flickering.

Apparently not all part materials are created equal. Here is what the material detail looks like at 60K x 60K for
Cobblestone or pretty much every other material is distorted badly:
However two of them hold up well to this extreme size:
Brick:
Wood Planks:
Why are those two special? This is unfortunate because who really needs wood planks or brick to the horizon? The more useful textures foil, sand, ice, all have the disintegration problem.

1 Like

I’m not sure what causes the distortion but wood planks and brick seems to have the effect very slightly when zoomed up close, though it is not noticeable otherwise.

The circled part is where I could see it most for wood planks.