What are the limits for high poly special character meshes?

I own an ant game. In this game you live as an ant, along with the new version I am making have come the creation of newer models that are more realistic, however they are more high poly. As this is an ant game, it will require the servers to be able to sustain a large amount of players. My fear is that along with these new high poly models, they would make the game slow and lag. Do any fellow developers have more experience or insight that they could provide me in this situation?

1 Like

It depends on the amount of polygons per mesh, if you could provide more information, and obviously the amount of players you want in one server.

If you are going for realism then a lower player count its advised, More players less detail on their meshes, (Environment can have more), simply because characters they have animations, they are unanchored and have humanoids.

Here is one of the models being used: https://gyazo.com/289fbc289ef42d5dd6ad265c102c5c12

I am hoping to have around 50-100 max players. I am not sure the poly count but I can ask the modeler later.

It seems to have a pretty good amount of triangles, unless hes baking normal maps into a low poly version of it for PBR launchment then it will be perfectly ok.

If it is just pure polygons you will face a lot of problems.

Iā€™m not entirely sure what baking is, could you ellaborate? Should I ask him to do that?

Baking a normal map is basically projecting the high details of a high poly mesh into a simplified version of a low poly mesh, its a faking process where you can have a mesh of 100 polygons look like one that has 10k.

Source: workflow - How does normal baking work? - Blender Stack Exchange

Very interesting. Is this difficult to do?

Yeah, that is the process for making AAA assets for games, one of them atleast, and it is not currently supported on the roblox platform.

But there is an uptade called PBR coming that will enable this soon, you can test the beta on studio.

So should I have him continue to make models as are and wait for this feature to use it?

If hes able to bake them yeah, make sure he has a low poly version of the same model first, just ask him then.

1 Like