What are you working on currently? (2017)

Weren’t Connectors called Welds back in the day? Or was it called Welds later…? I can’t remember.

Ah… now that is how I remember old Roblox.

7 Likes

You can definitely just measure the FPS constantly and add/reduce workload to get to that 30fps threshold, but I jest :stuck_out_tongue:

Who said old ROBLOX maintained stable 30 fps?

5 Likes

I remember Old Roblox hitting further than 30 FPS for sure.

If yall really want some nostalgia then this old version of studio will do the trick.

http://www.mediafire.com/?o6bwv1mcws19h6m

Edit: I think its official title was “Studio 2006”

3 Likes
while true do
    game:GetService'RunService'.RenderStepped:Wait()
    local t0 = tick()
    game:GetService'RunService'.Heartbeat:Wait()
    repeat until t0 + 1/30 < tick()
end

30fps

Close enough :^)

13 Likes

Render for Prison Royale I did a while back :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I didn’t say it was lol, it just wouldn’t go above 30 because it was capped.

Damn I didn’t think that would actually work. I thought it would just flood the instruction queue forever.
Won’t this hog up other Lua resources though?

Well, half of the time (if the game would’ve normally run at 60 Hz) it would be spend nothing, but the other half should just run normally. I don’t think there’s a way for us to keep one thread at the beginning of the task scheduler’s queue.

Started building dis robot yesterday, I tthink its going pretty well. :blush:

Updated Version:

16 Likes

Finally about half done with the gameplay UI for Sound Volblox III

The video doesn’t show it, but I also had the score counter ready to go and works with the old code with almost no alteration

8 Likes

Creating content is so much more fun than backend stuff.

6 Likes

Making a space station in 3DS max.

34 Likes

Within 6 hours of my last post, I now have the full UI assembled and animated, I just need to do something about the white text sometimes blending into the background, probably just a drop shadow on each letter label.

Also throwing this in here: over the course of working on this UI all day, I occasionally got bored, so I did work on a remix of the 2P Versus theme from Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine, which was also the final boss theme of the original Puyo Puyo.

4 Likes

My place is directly based on this build I have:

I’m trying to restore this era of Roblox in a manner that is actually legal.

4 Likes

The Lua pipeline is nonpreemptive, so it’s only hogged in the sense that scripts are throttled to 30hz.

whatever this is

23 Likes

Dang… that is creative…
Now to make a frame rate limiter plugin.

1 Like

Are those frames or LineHandleAdornments (or ???) ? Can’t tell due to video compression