What are you working on currently? (2018)

Shaun White?

22 Likes

Shred is starting to look really, really good. Sorry, I couldn’t pass up this golden opportunity :1st_place_medal:

1 Like

I finished my random generator, fixed some quirks with the generation code and ported to Roblox. It looks neat!

I’m working at the moment on reducing the “curlyness” of the corridors and making the rooms more sparse, but because of the way I implemented it I can tune it easily (organized and modularized code is actually good(!)).

I think I’m going to make a little RPG as an experiment when I finish this code, but I’m not sure if it’s worth the investment…

You can test it for yourself here: https://www.roblox.com/games/1344599192/Procedural-Dungeon-Generator

10 Likes

Looks great but isn’t it kind of unorthodox to do this sort of model in a sculpting program?

I noticed that all of your rooms only have 1 entrance. Are you planning on changing that?

There is a parameter that controls the number of entrances a room can have, but I couldn’t test it in time and I think I may have broken it while changing something else, so yeah…

Thanks for warning me, though. This goes to the bug tracker.

2 Likes

Yw… been wanting to make one of those for a while. Got any tips?

Also you should look into “merging” rooms together if they’re really close to each other (to make one big room).

Sure. I mainly followed this article, but changed some things while implementing it. It basically places rooms randomly, generates a maze on the empty spaces and connects everything together by creating a spanning tree.

To be honest, this method is great for generating dungeons but I haven’t tested it on other kinds of maps yet, and I’m not sure it will look good, but it does look nice.

If you get confused, try reading the code from other developers or projects - there are a lot of open source dungeon generators (and the article I linked also has it open sourced). It might clarify a bit.

You can also check out graph theory if you never have had before, it does help a lot with the maze and joining parts.

The room merging is also a nice idea, I’ll try to mess around with it. Thanks.

2 Likes

awesome blog

1 Like

Well, it took me forever, but I finally released the beta update for space frontier!

4 Likes

Some combat for a culling type game I was working on,
has staggering, dodges, charged attacks, parrying, ripostes, and is all locally simulated(tracers, animations, etc.). I use some ping compensation techniques which makes the hit detection and smoothness pretty unaffected until about 200+ ping. The camera was a bit too much, and the bow hold angle was a bit silly. But who knows I may continue the project at some point

The animations were placeholders of course too lol

12 Likes

Could it be? Another rhythm game!?
nah, just a concept for now, but it could definitely happen

7 Likes

This took me a while to understand what I was looking at. Then it hit me and was pretty cool! One thing I would suggest is posting an animated gif/video next time, its more clickbaity yes, but it also gives a clearer idea of whats going on. Anywho, :open_mouth:

cc @YellowoTide

1 Like

For some context, this is what it’s based on in part. The entire concept behind what you see in those screens was presented to me by my friend and one of my charters, BrianXP7, who really likes Nostalgia. Thought I’d maybe see if I can make it a reality, and maybe a new game! And if I make it, I can have songs exclusive to both, then cross them over and cross-promote both games…

4 Likes

is this a human player

Yep, and this isn’t even the craziest it gets, either

Hmm, why would it be? :stuck_out_tongue:

Working on a neat little IK rig with an elbow. Posting twitter link because mp4 attachment not allowed.

1 Like

Splatoon, but Roblox.

(I’ll probably increase the grid size to 2)

20 Likes

It’s only meant to paint where the bullet hits, isn’t it?