What are you working on currently? (2019)

6 Likes

Looks really good. Poptart you are really putting the work into this! Keep up the good work man can’t wait to see more of this…

1 Like

NOTICE ME SENPAI

2 Likes

I assembled some of the meshparts within the existing bundles in catalog and retextured em. This’ll look great once I put it in action!

14 Likes

A rather interesting ship, used to bring grain from lower to higher cargo holds.
Obviously still a work in progress!

7 Likes

Looks, very awesome Supersnel11 i like the details. You did on the ship great work keep it up! can’t wait, to see more of your impressive work…

Working on a small side project. Barely got anything done today but I guess it’s still worth posting. Will continue to post progress here later.

14 Likes

Very nice, work WafflemanXx keep it up can’t wait for the the next update on your creation.

Made a camera

11 Likes

https://gyazo.com/fc5545b97ca133d964f5f9434a25506e
Coruscant underworld I’ve been working on when I’m not coding, I have always wanted to get better at building and this has helped a lot. I might turn it into a full RPG game if it goes somewhere

31 Likes

Got a map idea for Epic Minigames. Idk if I should wait and edit some more or turn it in to TypicalType.

1 Like

How much do I have to post to get more privileges in the DevForum? I can’t seem to figure out how to get an attachment to snap to a model like it does to a part. It’s not automatic. If it’s not a feature…I need that feature…If it is a feature…I need the know how please. Thanks in advance…I’m still a super noob…

Image from Gyazo
My nephew quit his group AngelHeart Gaming and I took it over, I’m trying to fbuild up every abandoned project with things the group can build on.
Image from Gyazo
Made my first pair of wearable wings and they’re terrible but I like them.

and some other stuff…Just learning and tinkering…Nothing special…but I can’t post where I need to. lol. booooo…but I’m glad I can post in here…Oh and I need perms to update the pages on developer.roblox so I can remove misprints and typos in the text when I find them.
Image from Gyazo
Image from Gyazo

2 Likes

WIP of a scene, there’s still a bit to go before its done, as well as revealing what the center piece will be.

33 Likes

I’m writing a text to mesh module. It’s great since it kerns+spaces characters perfectly (I had to extract the kerning table from the font + a bunch of other metrics using python). I just have to run one python script in Blender and it outputs all the meshes + a bunch of important lua files for me. Theoretically, I can port any font I want to Roblox! Here’s a sample:

You can get the module here:

Sample usage:

local SourceSansProRegular = require(workspace.SourceSansProRegular)
local parent = Instance.new("Model", workspace)
SourceSansProRegular.Draw{
	text = "Hello, World! !&*@^#(&^!@)_%982wfhsdfho123190",
	parent = parent,
	cframe = CFrame.new(0, 0, 0),
	thickness = 0.05,
	scale = 1
}

I don’t plan on maintaining this module since I might change more stuff . Right now it only supports Basic Latin. I’m just dumping it here for anyone that wants to play with it. I’ll probably make a more official release with more fonts later (+ a plugin)

(note: really important that you parent this outside of workspace since the meshes are stored as MeshParts in the module itself)

14 Likes

That’s… That’s a render, right?

2 Likes

Worked on a trailer!

3 Likes

Looks promising. Will definitely play it!

2 Likes

Something random I made last night; global illumination in Roblox!

What Roblox (and many other games) do by default is “direct lighting”. This means that all the light in the scene comes from the sky or lights, and none of it is bounced off of materials. This can lead to unrealistically dark areas:

Direct lighting (0 bounces)

However, when you start bouncing light off of walls and floors, you can start to properly fill rooms with light without having to resort to ambient lighting or anything like that:

Indirect lighting (1 bounce)

Indirect lighting (2 bounces)

Indirect lighting (3 bounces)

In theory, this system can support infinite bounces, but that takes ages to render so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To achieve this effect, I first wrote a path tracer script, which can simulate how light bounces around a scene. It looks okay, but I’m not an expert at this sort of stuff, so it’s a bit crude:

I then used that code to create ‘light probes’. These probes take multiple samples by tracing rays in all directions around them and taking the average of all of the samples. They then use the final colour to emit a small point light around them.

Here are all the light probes for that room example above:

Each light probe takes 250 samples in those room examples, but this can be increased as needed :slight_smile:

As it is, it’s mostly just a proof of concept rather than something usable, but it would be awesome to see someone else run with this idea and make something impressive!

23 Likes
2 Likes

I tried making a futuristic space station corridor, I think it turned out decent
I never want to make a giant cable ever again, and the red sign says “+ Emergency”

30 Likes