What data can I collect under COPPA

According to COPPA, I cannot collect information, even as basic as usernames.

However, I want to collect telemetry and player behavior/interactions. For specifics, I want to collect:

• How often they chat
  • What Character they use, skills, etc
  • Retention
  • Level HeatMap(complicated)
  • At what moment they leave
  • Performance for balancing
  • Basically all information on the game…

This dataset is collected at the individual level. Meaning players can be identified by a hash of their username. Collecting this data as a mass, doesn’t exactly yield anything. I understand that developers are collecting telemetry, however I do not know if they are in the legal side of things :slight_smile:, just because they do it, doesn’t mean it’s legal right?

Soo… what can we collect on minors?

I believe the law is vague enough to be a case by case basis.

11 Likes

This is not legal advice yadda yadda

None of the information you listed is personal data and cannot be used to identify a person, so I’m pretty sure it’s fine.
You’re gathering statistics on the game rather than info on the player, when you think about it.

8 Likes

Well, take a look into the developer stats, and what do you get? A graph on how much time an average player is playing, robux revenue, electronic type, etc. So, I think it’s fine.

* First and last name
* A physical or home address
* Online contact information like an email address or username for an instant messaging platform
* Telephone number
* Social Security number
* An online identification for the user, like a cookie that tracks a user's history or the user's IP address
* Any file that contains a child's voice or picture
* A child's geographic location

If you aren’t collecting anything up here you are good.

10 Likes