What direction should I take this building?

Hello all. I’ve been making more realistic builds lately & I’ve made something that half looks like a lowpoly shop and half a firestation. I can’t find a good consistency in color for the bricks + I’m looking to add more detail so I’m looking for suggestions. It’s semi based from a real life building but I’m allowing a lot of room to change. I don’t know what direction to take it in (it’s just a front btw) and when I’m done I’ll probably make it free. Any help is appreciated

From what you have, it kinda looks like strip mall as shown below. You could possibly build a street that has multiple buildings connected all referring to different themes as you would find in real life. These are just my thoughts and I think it could be pretty good to do.

5 Likes

First of all, try finding some perfect texturesthat fit your taste and edit them in your graphics programme.
If you don’t want to, then use seperate parts, but I also dont recommend that, it looks fake, roblox’s brick texture is really good if it is right. You should choose the right colour for you and then edit the colour values, such as the brightness value, hue, etc.
Another thing is playing with lighting especially now, since roblox’s lighting has improved over the years.

Also, from my experience in realistic builds, building colours are never bright, unless you want to make some weird modern art. You should always go darker.

Also try to layer a lot, for what ever reason it makes builds a lot more realistic in my opinion, below is an example.

Layers

But before building you should sketch and plan. Grab a paper or get a notebook where you sketch out the drawing. Also, try and find as many references as possible. Then try and join those references in your sketch

Also, details and colours should be the last part of the build, I always start off the building with bright colours (neon green, yellow etc.) with smooth plastic to identify each part. Once you feel happy with the general build start colouring and texturing and add the wires, electricity boxes, AC fans, etc.

Then start the roads, etc.

And you are all set!

Thanks for your suggestions! I’m not really making a game though so I try not to mess with lighting as it distorts my view on the building. I was trying to make more layers but I just wasnt sure where yanno? I agree with the color though, I’ll make it darker :slight_smile:

Maybe make it on the roof and on the window borders.

1 Like

I kinda think this build would look good as a block of flats (what we call apartments here in the UK). Maybe something like this: images I think the colours look a bit bright - that kinda ruins the realism. Hope you appreciated my advice. :slight_smile:

1 Like