What do you all think of my bridge?

Hey, developers!

Today, I made this bridge and I want some constructive opinions.

Here is the bridge.

What do you all think? Comment down below.

8 Likes

Looks pretty nice if you’re going for a classic feel. Only thing I suggest is scale it down because it looks massive in comparison to your character.

5 Likes

OK! Thanks for your feedback! I will fix the problems.

Its a bit basic. If your going for a classic feel, then it looks nice for being classic.
Though if your not. Then I suggest making it a little less blocky.

In your future posts, please provide more information about your builds when posting in #development-support:building-support because we shouldn’t be guessing what these are for. Yes if this is for a classic game, it would certainly be great, but if we’re talking modern, you might want to go for even more complex designs. In reality, kids are into more modern games than the classic ones, although some games with great mechanics yet classic design thrive on the platform. As someone has mentioned, the bridge is quite large and the support beams under could be improved by not just placing one whole part. This could be used in some sort of bug simulator or a game where players are smaller than usual.

1 Like

I’m not sure what kind of style you’re going for, but here’s some general feedback:

First I tried to recreate your bridge as best as I could from the one picture:
(also in the future if you make these threads, provide more than one picture from a variety of angles)

First I’ll talk about colour:

Notice how - due to the making colour and texture direction, this railing blends into the floor? Try your best to avoid mono-colouring because you quickly lose depth of your asset.

Fix this by giving it some variety in the colour and material - a darker wood for the railing top, and grey metal supports.

Now let’s talk about the supports:

See how the supports are “flush” (in line with) the walkway? This also loses depth and just generally feels plain - especially with it being three single Parts holding up the structure. You can also think that if there is water under this bridge, in the real world there usually wouldn’t have wood for supports as that will rot.

With this, I changed the supports to concrete (slate, or other stone materials are fine), and added some additional arching supports to spread out the weight of the floorboards above - think foot-traffic (or actual traffic) adding weight to the top.

Moving onto the railings:

This is a lot of wasted room and just feels blocky. Even if you’re going for a blocky style, get creative with how the Parts are rotated.

You can see I rotated the railing beams sideways so they run along the bridge.

Finally, some additional detailing:

This boardwalk is fairly boring and mono-coloured, even for classic or blocky style. You can add variation pretty easily that again, adds depth.

This is done quickly and effectively, and adds in some nice colour variations.

With all these steps, and maybe some additional styling, you can easily go from this:

To this:

With a little practice and thinking about your design in real world terms, and even using some pictures to follow, you can make some great stuff.

Keep it up! :smiley:

37 Likes

Is is for classic roblox games only.

1 Like

I feel like this is giving me that 07’ 08’ vibe, and I was playing around in that era so if your going for that classic vibe you’ve definitely got it nailed. However if your trying To go for a more modern feel then you might want to add some understructure to connect the bridge slats and possibly turn the slats to concrete and make it a grey. But if you want the classic vibe you got it nailed.

Aotrou has essentially covered all the tips so I’ll just add one more: check your wood grain. :wink:

A little blocky for a bridge, but it’s certainly a fair start. Practice will eventually yield you some neat results - experiment around, make duplicates of your bridge and try new increments.

1 Like

This is for classic use only. I tried making a game about the past.

Then you totally have the bridge nailed, I’ve been playing since 07 and your definitely onto something the bridge is superb.

Thanks @AureateGold! I really like your compliments. I am making a game using this about Roblox’s past.

Well then @JoshuaB0RN Your definitely onto something, that road looks at the default house template in around 2010 I believe. Your definitely onto it, when your finished send me a link. I wanna see it when your finished, your definitely on the ball with this project. Keep it up :+1: