What do you guys think the best way of transferring to DataStore 2 is?

Hey! I currently own a game with a large fanbase, and I would like to prevent most to all data loss issues by switching to the use of DataStore2. At the same time as I switch, I want to transfer old player data, but the problem is that I have 3 different DataStores that I use in order to save different things.

What do you guys think the most efficient way to switch to DataStore2 would be, considering I have 3 different DataStores holding player data right now. I would end up transferring all data into a single DataStore2 store before fully putting DS2 into effect.

Thanks for any help I can get!

DataStore2 information can be found here:

Quantify “large”. If it’s very large, you’ll have a difficult time migrating - 3 different DataStores already sounds like inefficient DataStore setup from the beginning of your game’s development.

Something you can do is set up a recovery system for an n time period that allows users to merge data. For example, cache data in a session. When a player activates the merge system, pull their data from the DataStore and add it to their current cached session data, then call RemoveAsync on their key.

From there, DataStore2 can take care of the rest - saving automatically and such.

2 Likes