What do you think of my smooth terrain?

This is my first attempt at smooth terrain and so far, this is what I came up with. It’s currently not finished and I am looking for some opinions on it before I finish it up. If you couldn’t tell, I am going for some medieval type look.

25 Likes

Hey Nosniy,
First of all let me tell you that it looks like you’re a natural with smooth terrain! I really enjoyed looking at your build.
As to some criticism, I would say that you should look more into the distribution of the houses and the terrain, if you begin analyzing it for a while it begins to look kind of weird (well, to me at least).
Regardless, I really loved it man.
Great job.

3 Likes

It looks nice but you can improve on a few area’s like:

• The hill tops look a bit rough and jagged
  • Add mud in places to make it look better
  • Make river wider and add sand to its sides
7 Likes

I think it looks really nice. Great job! The only piece of criticism that I have is that you should make the river a little wider like the OP said.

What you have done well on:

• The trees look nice. You have’t just gone with one type of tree, you have multiple types of trees.

• You have varied the houses and not just copied and pasted them.

• The terrain looks nice.

2 Likes

I really like how this is looking so far! Here are some tips I can give you to help take this to the next level!

• Add more variety of textures: I’d recommend adding tiny patches of rock or dirt in to the ground every now and then to give it some variety, this can also be done with the mountains.

• Changing the colour of the terrain: This is looking really nice but I’d personally lower the green a bit and make it a bit more smooth with the map.

• Colour variance: This falls under the previous one but a good idea is to colour the leafy grass as a darker green and use it to highlight parts of your map (trust me it looks very nice).

Other than that this is looking splendid! I’d love to see what you do with the map in the future.
Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hey!

Judging solely on the terrain, I see a lot of areas that could be improved on.

Critiques:

• Bottom left of the picture, the river’s edge is extremely jagged and unnatural.
  • The buildings don’t feel like they naturally fit in, kinda like the terrain was carved for them not the otherway around. This makes it look unnatural.

Recognitions:

• Pleasant color appeal
  • Very consistent art direction.

Looks great, keep hustling!

1 Like

Hey! This looks pretty cool!

Personally, I like the effect the smooth terrain has. It looks really good, and I think it fits your Medieval design really well. I do have a suggestion for you that sprung to mind, that I think you could incorporate if you wish to reinforce the ‘Medieval’ theme that you are trying to create.

• My Suggestion:
    I think it would be fantastic if you added some decorations, such as some Medieval Carts, an old well, some old wooden boats, barrels and maybe some animals such as Horses or Pigs. In addition to that, you could add some stacks of hay.

I commonly see these associated with Medevial villages and I think they’d look great in this one.

1 Like

This looks pretty great, good job!

The only part I would change would be to remove the palm trees, and add more of the other types of trees. If you are going for a medieval vibe, then what most people think of is knights and castles. If you were going for something like that then you would want more trees to reflect a more rugged time period. If you were going for something like in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, where it takes place in a tropical climate, then I would say keep the palm trees but make all the other trees in to palm trees too. Either way, I would make the trees more consistent in type of tree. You can still vary it up by making them different sizes or adding various deformities if that is what you are after. I normally make three different types of trees, then rotate and size them randomly. That works the best to add variability for me, and I recommend that you try it to.

Good luck on your build, and I hope you finish it up to where you want it!

1 Like

Its look so good than my buildings iim do in RBLX studio… gg

For your first attempt wonderful job! I love how you varied the grass and stone to give some texture to the ground. Also love how you varied the trees and the houses to make it all tie in together.

As for criticism I don’t know if it is the terrain rendering or your terrain but the hill tops look a bit pointed. Also like some other people said adding some sand around the river and widening it would help a ton. Adding small details like flowers, stepping stones, or just small rocks/pebbles can add a lot to a map, explore that a bit and see how it’ll look, and experiment with different ideas.

Overall well done! Hope to see more from you.

1 Like

With the low-poly builds, the terrain looks too realistic, I would recommend you use *artificial * terrain.(Example of artificial terrain displayed in this game: https://www.roblox.com/games/913614076/Hexaria-Beta-V0-71-2 assuming you want an unnatural look possibly as an alternative ) I would on the other hand make the river wider, add mud, add a variety of textures, to make it look more realistic(if you want to give it a natural look). I would also recommend you add decorations, and some more differently laid out buildings. GL with this game!

1 Like

Hey buddy! Would make the lighting a tadbit better, but it’s nice!

Only thing that I can say is that it seems really bright in my opinion. I’d play with the color green you’re using for your terrain and play with the lighting a bit to give it a more realistic feel. Having said this, if you’re going for a bright/cartoony style then disregard everything I said.

I like what you’ve done with the terrain. However, I have a bit of a small gripe here. I don’t think the cartoony style of your buildings and trees match up well with the realistic look of smooth terrain. It looks inconsistent. But enough about that.

Yeah, I do like your smooth terrain. It’s not extremely bumpy or anything. One thing I’d suggest is to add sand or rock around the edges of your river there to make it look better.

Also, here is a tip. If you want a nice transition between terrain types, select Grow and set your brush strength to a low level. Then select one of the materials that you want to merge (for example, if you’re merging Rock and Grass, select Rock) and start brushing where the two terrain types meet. You can see in the picture below I’ve merged the Rock and Grass material together.

3 Likes

I love it! It’s nice with the low-poly terrain. Love it!