What does and doesn't the marketplace fee apply to?

In my opinion, Roblox had done a poor job in clarifying what items the marketplace fee does and does not apply to, what percentages are earned, and under what conditions.

From my understanding:

• Selling virtual items from a group or personal account, regardless of premium, is taxed 30%.
  • VIP servers and private servers are taxed 90% regardless.
  • Paid access to a game is taxed 90% regardless. for non-premium members, 30% for premium members, and 90% for group-owned games. (Proof in later posts.)
  • Clothes cannot be sold by non-premium members at all.
  • Group payouts are not taxed.

What I don’t understand:

• What is the tax for selling limited items?
  • What about trades?
  • Does any tax at all apply to premium payouts?
  • What tax applies to commissions? According to TOS, “Robux acquired from trading/selling virtual items that you did not create are not considered earned.” Does that mean I can’t profit from commissions?
  • If a player sells some limited items, then uses the Robux to purchase some in-game item, do those Robux count as “earned” for the creator of the game?

Please correct me if I am wrong about any of these points. (Only post if you are sure! No rumors or speculation!) It would be really nice if there were a Developer Hub page enumerating this information.

EDIT:
If you post, give a reference to the administrator you heard it from, or the roblox.com page where it is stated.

Gathered results from posts so far (July 2020):

• Selling game passes or developer products from a group or personal account, regardless of Premium, is taxed 30%.
  • VIP servers and private servers are taxed 90% regardless.
  • Paid access to a game is taxed 90% for non-Premium members and 30% for Premium members, and 90% for group-owned games.
  • Selling a limited item is taxed 30% regardless.
  • Trades are taxed 30% regardless.
  • Taxes don’t apply to Premium Payouts.
8 Likes

All of the points you stated at the top are correct, except for paid access:

-̶ ̶P̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶t̶a̶x̶e̶d̶.̶ ̶R̶e̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶c̶e̶:̶ ̶T̶h̶i̶s̶ a̶r̶t̶i̶c̶l̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶.̶

Paid access is 90% for Non-Premium users and 30% for Premium users.

Now, on to your questions.

1. The tax for selling a limited is at 30%. You get 70% of what you’ve sold.

Reference: Ask anyone who’s sold any limited. For more proof, here is a post reacting to the 30% tax.

1. Trades don’t have a tax, except for Robux. That’s at 30%.

R̶e̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶c̶e̶:̶ ̶T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶t̶i̶c̶l̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶t̶a̶x̶.̶
That article does mention a tax.

1. Tax does not apply to Premium Payouts. They don’t come from a purchase.

Reference: This article never mentions a tax.

1. If the commissioned Robux is sent through a group payout then it isn’t taxed as is like any other group payout. You’ll only get 70% of Robux if the commissioner is buying through a t-shirt. There will be a 30% tax.

Reference:

• For Group Payouts: This article never mentions a tax.
  • For T-shirts: This article mentions a 30% tax.
  1. Yes, any Robux spent on a game counts as earned. The Robux that the seller earned is not earned for the seller, but the Robux the developer received is. You can’t Devex Robux earned through limiteds but you can if it passes through a developer product. Don’t try to get Robux through this method, though, as that’s technically against the rules. It’s not legitimate.

Reference: I don’t have one, but it’s common sense. It doesn’t matter where the Robux came from, it will still count as earned. These two articles never mention any “tainted Robux” that doesn’t count toward your earned Robux because the buyer got it from a limited.

By the way, many taxes that were previously set at 30% for premium users and at 90% for non-premium users have been set to 30% regardless of your premium status.

EDIT: Corrected two of my claims.

But also:

._.

9 Likes

The 90% tax was recently removed. All purchases are now taxed at 30% as per:

Premium payouts, as they do not come from a purchase, are not taxed.

If commissions are paid from a group payout then they are not taxed like other group pay outs. If the person is pay for it via purchasing a shirt or dev product then they will be taxed the 30%.

Non-devexable robux gained through selling limited will be devexable for the devs of the game you spend it on. Don’t think you can just quickly launder it through a dev product though and cash out. This is one of the reasons why Devex payments are not instantaneous, checks are made to assure you are not “laundering” Robux this way.

3 Likes

Paid acess IS in fact, taxed. image

Trades are taxed, too.

Please research more before saying incorrect things.

3 Likes

Thank you for fixing the claims!

Apologies if I sounded rude! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

For me (non-premium), Paid Access is clearly 90% taxed:

But for you, it is clearly 30% taxed:

So we can definitely conclude that Paid access is 30% taxed for Premium members, and 90% taxed for non-premium members. Interesting how Roblox never told us about this or documented this.

Also interesting is how we have to …

… to determine tax rates. Aren’t they explicitly stated anywhere?

Dude… ask anyone and they’ll tell you that limiteds have a 30% tax rate. Search it up literally anywhere on any search browser and you’ll find this claim. Not only did I already provide a discussion on the topic, it’s literally stated in the Roblox wiki. If that does not satisfy you, literally go try to sell a limited and tell me if Roblox lets you know there’s a tax. If that still does not satisfy you, literally go request a article on this topic in #platform-feedback:developer-hub.

No one questions whether or not a carrot is orange. Just ask someone who’s seen a carrot in their entire life. You can even search up images of carrots, or look at any form of media with a carrot. If that doesn’t satisfy you, go to a grocery store or a farm. If that literally does. not. satisfy. you. ask the FDA to explicitly state that carrots are orange.

Dude.

Official article by Roblox:
https://blog.roblox.com/2013/07/everyone-can-experiment-with-paid-game-access/
90% for Non-Premium, 30% for Premium.

They clearly did not state Paid Access was being applied. No where in that post did they ever mention Paid Access became equal for all users.

1 Like

I’ve moved this out of the discussion category since it’s a support question as opposed to a more general discussion thread.

4 Likes

What about paid access group games - is it always 90%? This is what mine looks like and I’m a non-premium user.

Like previously mentioned… Premium users get taxed at a rate of 30% and Non-Premium users at 90%.

It’s generally a good idea to read the topic before writing a reply.

I did read the replies, but sorry if I misunderstand. Revenue goes to group funds. So how does the group game determine if it is taxed 30% or 90%… does it depend on the group owner?

I think I’m the one who misread… the rate is at 30%, regardless of whether the owners have Premium or not. Sorry. :sweat_smile:

EDT: Am I being stupid?

No worries! Well, the image I posted was from my group and it clearly shows 90%. Plus if it were like that then non premium people could just bypass the tax by putting their game on a group.

1 Like

I’m premium and my tax is at 90%. What should I do?

Any robux spent on a creation (gamepass, devproduct, clothing, etc) is considered earned robux for the developer and can be used to DevEx.

What type of sale is being taxed at 90%?

1 Like

The private servers are. I don’t know about anything else.

You earn some but not all the robux they used to have access to play
Ex Welcome to bloxburg is paid access

If you look at the bottom of the original post, it says private servers are taxed at 90% regardless of Premium status. (Even though Roblox doesn’t actually state that tax rate anywhere.)

What I would like to know is how roblox counts up this 30% tax they take.
Because ive done the math and numberous times I have noticed that roblox claims it is taking a 30% of sale, and the numbers dont add up.

For example: 30% of 2500 is 750
So then how is it that after selling something for 2500, You are earning 1500?
That would mean that roblox is taking 250 above the 30% duduction.

How is this first of all legal, considering they have written claims of how they take robux off the sale,
And recently when they moved gamepass creation under the developer portal you no longer see the amount you will earn when initially creating a gamepass below when setting a price.
And how can they take more than 30% when you have premium after already disclosing that they are only taking 30%?

1 Like