What does this error mean?

I got this error:

the script:

-- Saves the sudio preferences.

AudioPrefDataStore = game:GetService("DataStoreService"):GetDataStore("AudioPreferences")
local players = game.Players

players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)

local DatastoreKey = "id_"..player.userId
	local AudioPref = AudioPrefDataStore:GetAsync(DatastoreKey)

if AudioPref == nil then

local defSettings = {

["Music"] = false;
			["Effects"] = false

}

local succes, occouredError = pcall(function()

AudioPref:SetAsync(DatastoreKey, defSettings)

end)

if occouredError then

player:Kick("An error occoured during data connection, please rejoin."..occouredError)

end

end

local music = AudioPref["Music"]
	local effects = AudioPref["Effects"]

player.Music.Value = music
	player.Effects.Value = effects

end)

players.PlayerRemoving:Connect(function(player)

local music = player.Music.Value
	local effects = player.Effects.Value

local Settings = {

["Music"] = music;
		["Effects"] = effects

}

AudioPrefDataStore:SetAsync(DatastoreKey, Settings)

end)

if game:GetService("RunService"):IsStudio() then

else

game:BindToClose(function()

for _, player in pairs(players) do

local music = player.Music.Value
			local effects = player.Effects.Value

local Settings = {

["Music"] = music;
				["Effects"] = effects

}

AudioPrefDataStore:SetAsync(DatastoreKey, Settings)

end

end)

end
3 Likes

You need to enable API services in game settings.

2 Likes

already enabled, i got the error only one time now it is woring (no changes done to the script)

2 Likes

it was working normally before so i dont know why it happens only certain times

2 Likes

Datastore:GetAsync() has a possibility of erroring. As much as I know, you should also use pcall on ::GetAsync.
You can also use the format

local success, error = pcall(Datastore.GetAsync, Datastore, …)

If you were to use that format, … are parameters of function ::GetAsync, or in your case, the ID for player data

2 Likes

Have you tried restarting Studio? It might be a network connection issue.

1 Like

Yes, but that will not fix the error and the data will still fail to save.

You disable an optimization by deconstructing the function from Datastore:GetAsync to Datastore.GetAsync(Datastore). I would recommend to just wrap it in an anonymous function instead because I also think it makes more sense.

1 Like

i think this is the only reason

2 Likes

My practice says to just call one function rather than nesting, unless I am doing more than one action, like calling multiple functions. There isn’t really any optimization issue, just a different way to write it.

2 Likes

I also will add that the error in the screenshot is on line 9, which happens to be where ::GetAsync is called.

2 Likes

Sorry, I’m just really pedantic. While these two different syntaxes result in the same functionality, one of them (the :) is special behaviour that uses less table accesses than the other, and I just think Table:Function() looks better without the repetition and more “intended” than Table.Function(Table) or Table.Function, Table. That’s just my point of view.

Ok… But adding a pcall won’t fix the actual problem. The error would still be there, just hidden behind the pcall, and the data loss issue will still be present. Yes, it’s good to have a pcall around function calls that have a chance of erroring, but you should preface that adding one won’t make the entire system start working again with the data being correctly saved and retrieved.

1 Like

Yeah. The error itself I am confused about, however the easiest way to work around it would be to kick the player from the server, or attempt calling Datastore:GetAsync() again.
I haven’t gotten error code 0 while working with datastores before.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.