What does this section about "no copying" in the Terms of Use mean?

Hey everyone, so in the Terms of Use it says this:

“No Copying. Roblox wants all Creators to develop their own ideas… Creator must not copy something Creator sees on the Platform or make some minor changes to others’ UGC”.

In terms of copying, what do they mean? Do they mean like copying by stealing the assets somehow, or do they mean copying like using other people’s ideas that have been already implemented, or copying their thinking through making replicas of their work? Basically, is it physical copying or ideas copying? Also this applies to games as well as UGC right??

Thank you.

1 Like

I think (not sure) that is about the ideas.

For example, isn’t allowed to make a fake dominus on UGC, even if isn’t copied by the original model, it’s copying the idea

Okay, so that means that someone can’t copy the idea for a game that has already been made right? When it comes to an idea, does it mean like you can’t even put your own twist on the idea, or does it mean like you can’t copy more than 60% or something of their version of the idea? Basically, what is the definition of “copying”? Thanks.

I think it’s to prevent copying original ideas.

For example, if you’re making an game about a cartoon or anime, but it already exists one on roblox, you still can do the game (if you have permission of cartoon/anime owner or if isn’t copyrighted).

But if the game is a total original idea and you copy so much (like you said, more than “60%”(not actually 60%) ) that it seems the same game, it’s already considering you’re copying it.

You can add YOUR twist to it or did e2 games, but you should not copy, for example take Minecraft, let’s put it with Fortinte, you would not get copyright because that’s YOUR idea, if I simply take Minecraft, I take the idea of survival sandbox, and create a survival sandbox with cubic things, maybe even not like Minecraft but the idea is the same, and I call it Cubes, that would be stealing, you stole the idea if Minecraft and copied it

So by “copy” here, they mean like any experience that can confuse other players, or detract from the profiting of an original idea, that therefore can be labelled as a “copy”, right? So something that is similar and has intentionally copied the already “successful” aspects of a game, right? Thanks.

I think so, I never encountered problems like this and I don’t know what they exactly mean with no copying but that’s how I see it, and you’re welcome, no problem :smiley:

**!Warning! I do not assume any responsibility for the consequences that this actions may take**

And if you want you could risk to try and create a game that is copied from another in different ways (ideas, gameplay, models etc.) and see what gets moderated, I highly reccomend creating a new account and do in g it on there I do not assume any responsability for the consequences this actions may take

Yeah, i’m wondering that too. Like by “copying”, do they mean like copying a person’s idea in the game or copying the game?

As said

If you want to risk try doing this, but I wouldnt

But why are you asking? Is it because you have an idea reallly close to another game’s one?

No, it’s because I want to protect my game from other people copying it. I need to know the extent so I can prepare beforehand. Thanks.

Okay, you’re welcome

It is a statement implying that Roblox honors the rights granted by the creators of content.

Your ideas are your intellectual property, though an idea not seen to fruition is harder to prove copywrite and there are some fair use laws that are protected by the copywrite office, so before you think of copying anything from anyone created on this platform, I would suggest being familiar with these laws.

Plenty of information here:

Some basic things to know if you read the TOS and combine it with copywrite law.

If you make something, you own that copywrite.
This applies to games, models, art, clothes, animations, code, etc., essentially everything you create, even here on Roblox.

If someone say makes a model and sells it in the UGC catalog and you steal that model, modify it, and upload it as your own work, you have just violated US copywrite law.

If you use synapse or whatever people are using these days, steal someone’s place, and upload it to your own place, even if you have to modify it to make it work, you just violated US copywrite law.

If you steal someone’s clothing template, re-color it, change it up, and upload it to sell it, you just violated US copywrite law.

If you’re an editor and you’re working on someone’s game, doing whatever it is they hired you to do, and without their permission, you download that game and re-upload it to your own place, you guessed it, you just violated US copywrite law.

So when Roblox is telling you they respect the rights of creators and want people to use their own ideas, what they are telling you is, they don’t want to deal with people violating US Copywrite law.

1. It creates legal headaches for them that they don’t want to deal with.
  2. It makes the platform look bad and deters quality creators from wanting to be on the platform.
  3. It creates duplication and, therefore becomes problematic to the user experience.
  4. It puts Roblox in a bad spot if they delete your content and people have paid Robux for it, opening them to potential lawsuits.

So simply put, don’t copy stuff that isn’t yours.
It’s illegal and Roblox doesn’t want the headache, which is understandable.

If you didn’t make it and you don’t have permission to use it, don’t use it.

Roblox grants developers the ability to use the stuff Roblox creates for users, including UGC catalog items, clothing, models, sample places, etc. That is stuff you have a right to use/copy/modify.

Stuff created by other users on the platform, they own the rights to their content, and that content is not transferred to you by any mechanism on the platform, it can only be transferred to you by the copywrite owner, the person who created it.

I’m not a lawyer, this isn’t legal advice, this is basic copywrite law and it can easily be verified by any number of sources including Roblox, the US Copywrite Office, the DMCA, or any Copywrite attorney. You can find endless legal entities that publish on this stuff all the time, you can even ask AI. If you seriously question it, email the copywrite office or contact them through the website I linked above, they will gladly tell you this same thing.

Note: I’ve personally spoken to the US Copywrite Office about all of this stuff, both when I first began developing on the platform and when I needed to acquire some information about the use of AI. Nothing has changed except the office has recently clarified that only a “Human” can copywrite their work, meaning the work of AI can not be copywritten without substantial human contribution, which the legal system is still hashing out exactly what that means.