What does [Unknown] refer to in Dev console?

My game is having slight performance issues when it comes to characters teleporting from lag spikes, and the only script that is constantly pushing a lot of data to the server is marked as “[Unknown]”.

No, I do not have a script called [Unknown] in my game. Anyone know what this could be referring to?

2 Likes

It’s normal to have [Unknown], it’s just referring to scripts that the console cannot identify. There’s a few things that could be causing you lag such as plugins or viruses, but if it’s only happening when teleporting, it could be because of performance-intensive assets in your game.

Another user here was also having somewhat similar problems with lag inside of [Unknown] because they had unanchored parts: 'Unknown' script running on my game + weird lag spikes

So if it is to do with parts/assets inside your game, activity inside of [Unknown] may become unstable.

2 Likes

Plugins definitely weren’t something I considered, but I know it not to be a virus. I have not used any free models in the game. And by teleporting, I just meant that the lag appeared to make players teleport, not that it actually had to do with teleporting. My bad!

It’s a constant high-activity script of some kind. I’ll try to see what I can do, thank you!

3 Likes