What Features Would Make a Game have Historically Accurate Sword Fighting?

Hello devforum! I’m a HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) practitioner and have experience in the longsword, dagger, pollaxe, spear, and rapier. I was wondering how I could add features to make a sword fighting game that is more in line with actual sword combat and duels. How much damage should weapons deal and how would characters react to getting hit? What would stances and animations look like? What kind of combat system would work best? How would attacks work and how much stamia would attacks take? How would things like parrying and feints work? What kind of reaction time would players need? How would the characters act while fighting? Those are a few of many questions I have from my experience swordfighting. There is no one right answer, but we can try and get as close as possible to it while the game is still enjoyable (for the intended audience).

i think if you wanted a historically accurate sword fighting game, you’d have to add many features to combat to which the player can use however and whenever they want to while having the controls be simple. that way, your combat will allow the player to have control over all of their movements and playstyles while staying fun

imo, if you want a very expansive combat system, you could include stuff such as: directional swinging, directional blocking, and utilizing stances

i think a lot of the other questions should be answered by yourself as you go along and work with the project because from the experiences i’ve seen, a plan for a project isn’t always final and set in stone when it comes to the final product

1 Like

I would defenitely check out a midievil roblox melee game called Bulwark they nailed the weapons.

Yes, Bulwark or Mordhaul, depends on whether if you have enough money to play.
Ballista is also decent but less accurate.
If you seek for intense realism then only VR can do that

Agreed. The only problem with VR is that not many players actually have a headset. This is quite an issue. However, for slightly less realistic controls you may also advertise to XBOX, since they have controls that are designed for these types of games that have realistic content and controls. They are also capable of handling the graphics really well.