What framework to use and how?

What game frameworks should I use and how can I use them?

I’m working on a big project and I’ve had to restart the whole thing a few times already because it gets too messy. I need something to organize all the scripts and stuff. I did a bit of research and I found out that I should use game frameworks.

I watched a tutorial on Knit but I didn’t understand it… same thing with Canary Studio (previously known as Canary Engine).

Basically I want to know what game framework to use and how to use them in an actual game like a simulator for example.

4 Likes

Game frameworks can indeed be helpful in organizing and structuring your code for larger projects. They provide a set of guidelines and conventions that make it easier to manage scripts, objects, and systems in your game. Two popular game frameworks for Roblox are Knit and Nevermore. I’ll provide a brief overview of both and how to get started with them.

1. Knit Framework: Knit is a lightweight and flexible framework designed to help you organize your game’s codebase and manage various systems efficiently. It encourages a modular approach to scripting, which can be particularly beneficial for larger projects.To get started with Knit:
  • Installation: Download the Knit module from the Roblox library and add it to your game.
  • Folder Structure: Create a folder named “Knit” in your game’s hierarchy and place all your Knit-related scripts in there.
  • Services: Create a new module script for each service in your game (e.g., PlayerService, InventoryService). These modules will define the functionality of your services.
  • Components: Create a folder named “Components” and place individual component scripts in there. Components define reusable functionality that can be added to different objects.
  • Controllers: Create a folder named “Controllers” for your controllers that manage game logic and interactions. These scripts can reference services and components to handle specific aspects of your game.
  • Initialization: Set up the main script to initialize Knit and start your game’s systems.To learn more about Knit, you can refer to the official documentation and tutorials available on the Roblox Developer Hub.
  1. Nevermore Framework: Nevermore is a more comprehensive framework that provides a wide range of features for managing various aspects of a game. It includes tools for handling UI, networking, serialization, and more.To get started with Nevermore:
  • Installation: Download the Nevermore module from the Roblox library and add it to your game.
  • Documentation: Read through the Nevermore documentation to understand the various modules and features it offers.
  • Folder Structure: Nevermore provides a suggested folder structure that you can follow to organize your game’s content.
  • Modules: Use the various Nevermore modules to handle different aspects of your game, such as UI, events, data persistence, and more.To learn more about Nevermore and its capabilities, you can explore the documentation and resources available on its GitHub repository.

Both Knit and Nevermore have their own strengths and are well-regarded within the Roblox development community. Choosing the right framework for your project depends on your specific needs and coding style preferences. Whichever framework you choose, be sure to spend time reading the documentation and tutorials to gain a deeper understanding of how to implement them effectively in your simulator game or any other type of project.

10 Likes

Thank you! I will test out Nevermore, since I haven’t tried it before.

I personally don’t think you need one.

Using folders and good code structuring will give you overall just as good or even better results than using frameworks. It does take some practice to get it right, but I’m sure you can figure it out after some time.

A framework is still a tool, not a magical solution to game organization.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.