What is a pcall() function and how do i use it and when should i use it?

You can write your topic however you want, but you need to answer these questions:

1. What do you want to achieve? I want to get a better understanding of what a pcall() function is

2. What is the issue? Include screenshots / videos if possible! I’m unsure how and when to use a pcall function and i don’t know what it is

3. What solutions have you tried so far? Did you look for solutions on the Developer Hub? Yes i tried looking up a video on youtube and tried looking for a post on the dev hub but i have not found one

After that, you should include more details if you have any. Try to make your topic as descriptive as possible, so that it’s easier for people to help you!

pcall()
end

So i got a problem where i don’t understand what a pecall is and how to use it can someone explain how i use this and when i should and what it is because i’m unsure.

3 Likes

Protected call function.

Pcalls - When and how to use them - Resources / Community Tutorials - DevForum | Roblox

This should help a bit.

1 Like

It runs functions without throwing an error and tells you if it ran successfully or not. (Not sure if this is the best explanation, but at least it’s short.) I haven’t really done anything with pcall because I haven’t used it before, so this may be kind of an odd explanation or even incorrect, but that’s all I know.

2 Likes

It just makes it so there isn’t an error, this is useful so it doesn’t stop your code from running.

Use pcall for functions that usually error such as TeleportService and DataStoreService.

You can also make your own error handler if you really want.

It returns a boolean on whether there was an error or not.

If there is an error

local success, err = pcall(function()
  return workspace.Hi
end

print(success, err) -- false, 'Attempted to index workspace with nil'

(function()
  return workspace.Hi
end)() -- errors

Whilst if there is no error

local y, name = pcall(function() 
  return workspace.Name
end

print(y, name) -- true, 'Workspace'
3 Likes

https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/lua-docs/Lua-Globals

You can find additional information about the pcall() and xpcall() global functions here.

3 Likes