What is a weld?

Hi devs,
So, when I insert a part to workspace it always inserts a “weld”.
I never really understand why they’re there and what they do.
If someone could pls explain me thx

1 Like

It connects parts together. However, use Weld Constraints for future work.

1 Like

I’d suggest turning “Join Surfaces” off in studio. If you are just building, then you won’t need to have them.

Going further with what @AustnBlox stated, welds are used to attach one part to another. They can be used to attach ‘part clothing’ to a character, or attach a weapon to a players hand. So on and so forth.

3 Likes

Oh ok, thanks @AustnBlox and @8WingedSeraph

1 Like

Welds can be used to connect parts together, as @AustnBlox and @8WingedSeraph said. But, Welds are deprecated, so use WeldConstraints instead.

Also, this is in the wrong category, put this in #help-and-feedback:building-support instead.

3 Likes

Why?

I know that they are easier to understand, but normal Welds are far superior when it comes to functionality

1 Like

They are not. This has been confirmed by a roblox employee to be a mistake, and has already been fixed in release 519:

I guess they havent updated it in the dev hub yet

2 Likes

Done!

Also, sorry if it annoyed @x_mdzg and @qwertluk

1 Like

Sorry just saw the message. I was offline for a while.

I personally use WeldConstraints because I have heard that Welds will break if you move the parts, and they must be touching.

On the other hand, WeldConstraints seem not to break when moved individually in studio and do NOT require them touching. Constraints are very helpful when creating tools.

Whatever suits your game design :+1:

I don’t think they have updated it in the DevHub…

1 Like

Normal welds dont require the parts to be touching.

But it is true that the weld breaks if you move the parts. You can change the offsets with C0 and C1 dynamically, it gets more problematic with WeldConstraints. I dont know if there is a way to easily change the offset in WeldConstraints, especially when the parts are moving.

But then again, as you said:

1 Like