What is AlignOrientation and AlignPosition?

My question is what are they used for and when can I use them in an actual game.

2 Likes

These might help you:

3 Likes

I already read roblox’s definition and it doesn’t explain how to use Align Position.

Say you want to have a Part move to another Part through Roblox physics instead of scripting it to move to that Position, use AlignPosition.
Go to the Model Tab of Studio and look for the Constraints tool. In the dropdown menu there are the Constraints like Hinge, Weld, Prismatic etc. and at the bottom there are AlignPosition and AlignOrientation.
If you select either one, then select a Part, then select another Part you’ll have an Attachment appear at the location you clicked on the Part. You can move these Attachments anywhere you want after you place them.
AlignPosition might be good for something like a trailer hitch, where you can make it Active or not, and you can script the Attachment1 to select the Attachment of different vehicles hitches to attach the trailer to.
This would also allow it to rotate and tilt like a real trailer hitch, but it’ll try to keep the two Parts in the Position you set the Attachments to.

2 Likes

A use I have for them is using them as welds if I want multiple network owners on one vehicle

AlignPosition and AlignOrientation are often used for pets, I suggest watching AlvinBlox’s video on egg hatching if you want to learn more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GHJ-9vmbPE

1 Like

I learned AlignPosition but not AlignOrientation.

Do the exact same thing to make an AlignOrientation Constraint as I described for the AlignPosition Constraint.
With AlignOrientation you don’t need the Attachments in the same Position, but the Parts they are attached to will stay at the same angles.
I use AlignOrientation to control the angle of the bucket of my skid steer loader and keep it at that angle while the lift arms raise or lower.
I’d suggest just adding some Parts to Studio, adding the joints, and seeing what each of the different settings does when you select them on & off.
Explore, try, investigate, experiment, learn!

7 Likes