What is fair in a partnership?

What’s a fair split between a scripter and a person that does everything else? Im fairly certain that badcc did all the scripting for jailbreak and that asimo did everything else and split it 50/50? Is 50/50 a common practice for this type of partnership?

4 Likes

It’s really up to them to decide. Everyone does it differently. 50/50 is fair but sometimes people want more or less.

Technically, if you are the owner of the game, you get more of the profit, and the workload also has an impact

Sure, but code needs to be constantly updated and maintained apart from UI, building, and game art. Scripting should yield a high share even if the other person manages everything else.

2 Likes

yes, because it’s the most needed and the hardest to utilize

Code shouldn’t need to be constantly updated and maintained unless you writing some crappy stuff

I think he meant optimization and making the code better, or adding new code etc.

Similar to what Vivid_Void said. As most games do, updating will usually require more to be done to the code (depending on the magnitude of the update) than other aspects.

Depending on how you program however, updating the code isn’t that much of a hard thing to do. Especially if you’ve built yourself a nice framework to work in. As long as you program in a way where the code is maintainable then there shouldn’t be an issue. The real issues is when you botch it and end up breaking something. But again, as long as its your framework there shouldn’t be a big issue to fixing it.

I’d say the biggest aspect of the game is the aesthetics, animations, sound engineering. Programming is fine and all, but 99% of the time, the player / customer isn’t even considering the code at all. Just how well everything meshes together. Good code is okay, bad code will break a game. Good visuals… that’s great. Bad visuals. You never had a game to begin with.

My only comment on this would be that in the AAA game industry, the art budget is almost always way bigger than the programming budget. If you think that things are different on Roblox then you’d better have a good explanation why.

1 Like

To be fair AAA game graphics are 1000% better and more advanced then roblox graphics. Building and modeling stuff for a AAA game is much different then building and modeling for roblox from what I can tell.

Counterpoint is that the coding is also 1000% easier because networking, character system, chat system, server infrastructure, and a ton of other stuff is already mostly handled for you.

I’m going to say this.

Good luck playing a game without any programming.

That said, programming is as important as level design, cause without a level, you have nothing to program. And without a level or programming what’s the point in creating sound tracks or animations?

I can do every bit of game design myself. I know what’s important. And everything is important. Imagine gta v without sound effects. Or better imagine the game used 8bit sounds… Just wouldn’t be the same. Although they contributed to nothing visually, their contribution is important none the less.

A good way to judge shares is time spent. At the end calculate an average time spent working for each person. Split it that way.

Ie. Programmer spent 1000 hours. Level designer spent 500 hours. Sound guy spent 100 hours. Animation spent 50 hours. GUI spent 50 hours. You can kinda see where and who gets what. These numbers are funny. I know. But my point stands.

It really depends on the complexity and varies from project to project

For example, in a game with stunning visuals and little to no code, it wouldn’t make sense for the builders, animators, particle creators, etc. to be payed less than a scripter.

On the other hand, if your game requires a lot of code, it would make sense for the scripter to get the majority.

Generally speaking, however, scripters are harder to find than builders.
In most cases, the scripter should get the majority of the profits.