What is TestService?

Hi, I would like to know what TestService is, how it works and whether it needs to be enabled.

Here are my settings: https://gyazo.com/95250f4b34239bc7b0c9328a9575f00b

2 Likes

You should always search the devhub if you want to know what something does before posting here.

Firstly, you should stop using gyazo.

Okay so, What does TestService do?

It’s used internally by Roblox to run tests on the engine. You can also use it yourself to run sophisticated tests right in-game.

One feature is macros, these are subtitutions for large blocks of code that shouldn’t need to be rewritten each time you want to call them. There are a bunch of built-in macros that let you do checking stuff. You can learn about this here.

The test service also have other functions such as TestService:Checkpoint, TestServive:Done, TestService:Fail, and TestService:Message.

Many of TestService’s variables includes debug data that is easier for Roblox to provide to you on the C side, rather than you having to write Lua equivalents.

There are also functions and variables that are generally only used internally such as TestService:IsFeatureEnabled

You can learn more about TestService on the developer hub. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out to me. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

So it should be turned on? Yes?

TestService can’t be turned on. If you’re unsure what the variables do, you should generally leave them alone.

Ok thanks for help, and which program should i use to capture screenshots?

1 Like

As said here, you should use ShareX, but this is beyond the scope of this topic. Feel free to message me if you’d like to discuss this further!

1 Like