What is the average Voxel size for the game? and how can i make it lower?

So im basically making game about an island so im trying my best to find out the average size of the voxels that most of the front pages use,i dont have any idea.

1 )Im trying my best to make the game less laggy as possible for the roleplay game,How can i achieve that?

2 )What are the advantages of using voxel terrain and Part terrain?

3 )Is my voxel terrain would be too laggy for the front page games? or it would be enough? (you can see the number at the top left corner)

Thank you for helping!

Here is the image of the game im making

2 Likes

It might be a little bit too much… This is the highest voxel count I have probably ever seen or recall seeing (I don’t work with too much voxel terrain like this) you should try to reduce as much as you can where possible.

The advantages of using voxel terrain is that it tends to be less laggy and more realistic looking. I prefer part terrain because of it’s simplistic look and how it just works for me.

Most front page games don’t use voxel terrain and use the low poly style (parts) because they serve so well with lower end PCs and mobile users. Not sure how well it’d be for other players but if your game is in beta, you should leave a link here for those who want to play and test it out :+1:

That was kinda helpful,i was testing out the loading times between my game and other front page titles tho,other popular titles were taking around 30-50 seconds,mine is taking around 1 min 30-50 seconds,even sometimes it might cause it load for 3 mins,idk why

if i just use part terrain,how may i possibly make these though? you know what i mean,those smooth edges and the gap for the island,if i would know how,i’d basically just use part terrain i guess,thanks for help tho!

you can test out the game if you want to,its just stuck like a showcase since no scripter took care of it yet

So lag can be caused by a number of things such as textures, graphic, assets, etc. My friend @Aotrou explains this very well in his RDC video. I recommend watching it, it’s worth your time and helps you see what might be wrong in your game and adjust your game to your needs with performance.

3 Likes

My PC is decent and it took about 1 minute to get in your game.
If you mean the crevasse then you could use long parts and use plugins to fill it in, personally I’d make a layout and rotate parts so it looks more naturally bent. There are plugins that are easy to use to make a basic terrain map

As @ProvenData said, this is true. Your game does seem to be littered with random objects like food and drink and the houses were fairly detailed. While 20k parts is not a major amount, combined with the voxel terrain it is likely what’s causing most lag. Your game seems to be pretty detailed (the houses, street lights,road parts…) You could do small things like replacing dotted lines in the road with textures and not parts.
The game is a little laggy for front page I’d think. Not everyone has a decent or good pc and some players wouldn’t be able to play your game.

3 Likes

Thanks for help about giving me info about that video and the details! that just gone really helpful for me about understanding the game performance,i just have 1 more question about it,how may i apply instances into my game? ive seen alot of stuff that can be used as instance,but how can i do it?

3 Likes

Hi yes so it’s been over a year since this post has last been active but Roblox has improved quite a bit over that time period. I have quite a massive RP game and I’m curious if my voxel count is just a tad bit too high?

The map is pretty much only Terrain, Trees, and railroad tracks throughout the map. We also do have our roads made throughout the map but we’ve done little to no building on the map yet.

We have no intentions on releasing it for any platforms other than PC due to the size of the map.

Hi SillyMeTimbers,
I think the voxel size 482,009,674 is very high.
You could lower the number of Voxels by removing terrain which is not possible to see to the player, for example under a building.
Another way to reduce the number is to make the terrain thinner.
A solution for very big maps is StreamingEnabled, but it has some disadvantages.
Here you can find more about it:
https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/property/Workspace/StreamingEnabled

I hope I could help you a bit.

2 Likes

Howdy, Our game already uses StreamingEnabled as without it we had tons of crashing issues due to the size of the map, I’ve optimized the map heavily since It was first imported via HeightMaps as the original Voxel count was well over 2B.

After I finish the map from a standpoint I’m satisfied with I’ll go back over with attempts to reduce the voxel count.

1 Like