What is the fidelity limitations for PBR textures?

Hello Roblox Creators

Roblox PBR textures have revolutionized building Roblox games by making them completely uniquie from one another from an artistic directive. Does anyone know what the texture quality limit is for PBR textures? HD? UHD? 2K? 4K? 8? 10k? Etc.

Please don’t answer this question assuming that the limit is 1024 by 1024 pixels unless you know that PBR textures specifically are limited to 1024 by 1024, and I mean that you know that that is the case. I am already aware that Roblox automatically downscales above HD, but I am wondering of PBR textures specifically are able to go above that limit.

Thank-you for helping me clear this one out.
Collier
Creator

The decal limit is 1024, how do you expect that PBR would work around that? The pbr materials use decals for normal map, color map, etc. Same for ‘surface appearance’. They are all limited by 1024.

1 Like

Thank-you for your answer. PBR supports 3D texturing and often is used in ranges up to 16K for Unreal Engine and Unity. Roblox will probably add 3D mapping layer support, but probably keep them to HD like you identified.

Roblox will probably have to get rid of decals being used for PBR. It’s not the smartest system but it works which is good enough for 2D PBR textures, although you can make 3D PBR textures using Roblox decals. I know that because I have constructed 3D mapping in png format for HD.

Let’s cross our fingers and hope Roblox is competent for modern art.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.