What is the highlight instance and how would I use it?

I know this feature is unreleased and close to shipping if all goes according to plan, but I wanted to get a quick feature request on it.

Currently the modes it plans on supporting are “AlwaysOnTop” and “Occluded” but I’d love to see some kind of “ReverseOccluded” if it isn’t too difficult to add. Basically just ONLY showing the occluded parts of the highlight. I think this is very useful for cases of highlighting objects that are obscured, and making it visually clear they are obscured as the instance itself won’t be tinted by the highlight if you have full vision on it.

Similiar to Dead by Daylight’s feature of “Auras” in which objects are highlighted a solid color but ONLY the parts that are not directly visible.

Either way I’m very excited for this feature and looking forward to news soon!

6 Likes

:slight_smile: I will just assume an error occurred with the Highlight feature again and they didn’t release it. Roblox studio just updated for me and Highlight feature is still the same, doesn’t work.

I hope it gets enabled around next week, at least in the month of May…

2 Likes

Any news ? I’ve been excited to use this feature for a while now! Got a whole update planned just for that one feature :smiley:

2 Likes

Lol same here, a highlighting feature just makes that big of a difference. :slight_smile:

Wondering if there’s any news cause it’s been 3 weeks since any.

It seems to have been enabled now. Works normally in Studio and in-game.

9 Likes

I’ve been checking every few days but I forgot to re-enable it in properties. :man_facepalming: Oops.

1 Like

I can’t believe this has been enabled but no announcement!

One thing I’m gutted about is that it currently doesn’t work with parts that have a surface appearance with transparency - which eliminates a lot of uses in my current project.

4 Likes

Very exciting! This feature would be super useful for me but then the size doesn’t have any depth… which totally ruins the style im going for

Highlight outline:

Animation2131232112312

(see how the outline stays the same size regardless of how far away I am from the object)

Mesh outline:

Animation21312321

(outline that is made using Blenders Solidify modifier)

is it possible to make the highlight outline have depth like the mesh outline? if so that would really help!

1 Like

Yeah I agree, I feel like the customization of Highlights are a little lackluster right now, and I feel like there could be a lot more options like what you suggested. Also, I like your TPOT build. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

ye, an editable fixed side mode would make it super useful rather than it always being dependent on your distance.

something I also noticed is it acts like its a neon but it does have a glow, instead it just ignores ambient and slightly sifts the colors as if it were glowing. I think having it be like surface and billboard gui’s where you first have the option for it to be affected by lighting and then have the option for brightness that would then give it a glow like the neon material with the lil fades. imo that would really enhance the instance for things like a outline on a magical item or or just giving the line some flair.

something else id think would be useful is if there was an option to enable invisible parts. as of now if you place the highlight instance inside a transparent part or a model of only transparent parts, it doesn’t render it at all. this is quite frustrating because there are some situations where its be useful to use it on entirely transparent things. such as for my game i have ghost that i feel would benefit from the outline but it doesn’t render around them at all. i have found workaround however that doesn’t mean it should be a permanent solution.

and a final thing id find useful is something brought up earlier by TecmagDiams. an Invert Occluded option, so you can see people through the walls but not have them glowing when they are stood right in front of you.

1 Like