What is the ideal Server Size / Social Slots to do for my game?

My development group has recently released a new game. It’s been (publicly) out for just under a month now, and has been steadily growing since.

One thing I’ve been looking into, is changing the way ROBLOX fills my server, as seen here:

There are two places under the same game, one being the two-player version (max of 16 players) and one being the single-player version (max of 8 players).

My brother, who I have been using as a metric of the average player that would play the game, has said that the servers, while they have decent capacity, never seem “full,” always seem empty. And to an extent, he is right - it seems like my game only fills 50-75% of its server, before it starts redirecting players to a newly generated server. The only time a server really seems to fill up, is if people are bringing their friends along via being followed etc.

I’ve been thinking about making it so that servers get filled as much as possible, preferably to 100%, before it starts redirecting players to new servers. My game relies a lot on having servers have a fair amount of players in them, as it is PvP based.

That being said, I want to leave some room where players can bring their friends along, at least in the two-player version, where that is expected. I’d imagine in the single-player version, most people would be going solo into that.

What should I do? Should I make ROBLOX fill up my servers as much as possible, or should I leave some room for social slots?

Here’s an example. Currently, my game has nearly 50 ccu’s, I’d say 60% of which are in the two-player version, so around ~30 players.

But, as you can see here, instead of tyring to fill the servers up, ROBLOX has spread them pretty thinly through my game.

Should I make it so that the servers fill up as much as possible? I would switch it back once my game got up to a few hundred ccus.

That’s because Roblox doesn’t fill a server up and then make a new one, it’ll fill it up 70-80% and then create a new one for players.

You’re able to change this of course if you’re wanting a different result in the Creator Dashboard.

It’s up to you! It depends on how hard the game relies on a full server of players, if you need a lot of players in one server then you should fill that one up before making a new one!

Yeah, and by the way, you really would not want to have them at max fill. Having the servers not at full capacity allow friends (as you said) to be able to join, as well as giving an option for players to play in small or large servers.

1 Like