What is the settings feature that makes parts snap onto each other?

When I started using Studio, I saw that parts would snap on to the same angle as the part which it was moved on.

Now, for some reason, it doesn’t work. Here’s a video.

Now you see the part doesn’t “snap” on to the other part when I move it on the other part. The part that was moved doesn’t change its angle so that it’s the same as the other part. Does anyone know how to fix this?

5 Likes

Make sure you are using select mode to move it, not the move tools.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I am using select mode to move it, to clarify.

Yeah i mean, it should be working since it’s not a setting. What stands out for me, is that the mouse cursor is not on the brick. Use the select tool like @DevourerOfBread said, and make sure to click on the actual part. This should do the job, and if not, try restarting studio, or making it in a separate game :slight_smile:

Sincerely
Kevin

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I put my cursor on the brick next time, and I tried in on different places and have restarted Studio. It still doesn’t work tho… :frowning:

Align dragged objects:

In studio right click on the part to make parts snap to each other when viewing the pop up menu you will see a option named “align dragged objects”, you will have to hit the checkbox in order for parts to snap together. Right click on the part and toggle this option; If the parts aren’t snapping to each other you may have disable the box making them unable to align to the surface.

11 Likes

Hello @MRPENNYMISER!

Changing Part Snapping

Snapping is the amount a part will move, scale, or rotate at a time. If you notice a part moving several studs (the Roblox unit of measurement) at a time, this is because of snapping. Snapping is useful when creating items that need to be placed exactly, like how walls of buildings need to be placed at ninety degree angles.

Turn Snap Off

To make it easier to move parts, it’s recommend to turn snapping off by default.

1. Turn snapping off by unchecking the box next to Rotate or Move .

Hopefully this helped! If so, please mark this as a solution.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply! This isn’t about snapping though, I know the title can be confusing. It’s about aligning the objects when they are dragged on each other.

I see, apologies. Yes a very confusing title.

1 Like

Thanks! That worked! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm, just noticed this myself and my screen doesn’t match the screenshot above from 2021:

That was fine and worked last week. Now today I have a more complicated place in studio and I couldn’t get the roof to sit on the wedges on top of the walls, like I did last week. I had to set the mode to Physical instead of Geometric. At this point the move, select, resize options glow a scary orange:

This wasn’t the effect I was used to. You still need to have collisions enabled, but at least now it is possible to begin to balance the roof between two levels.

This is what happens in normal, geometric mode:

Now physical mode is required and it must take the collisions option. With this set, the moved object smashes anything that isn’t anchored around! A good way to remind you to see to anchoring.

Here I can balance the roof between different, anchored, levels again:

It’s not as simple as I remembered. I remembered the roof, like objects as the are first moved around the workspace would simply fall into position. Now I need to stop moving it a short time after finding it at the correct level. Otherwise I can pull it through a part, I’ve also had the parts catch it and mess the alignment on other axis.

I resort to the move tool on independent axes, as in the demo to gain elevation and minimize the risk or parts catching.

2 Likes