What is this outline effect called and how can it be achieved?

Take the following UGC hat for example, seeing that this style is common among UGC hats:

There is an outline around the halo, in black. Pretty sure it’s just called a cartoon outline but I’ve heard and seen several different names for this outline (like cel shading?), so I’d like to know what the exact terminology for it is. Additionally, if someone could point me towards resources or share some knowledge about how to accomplish this, I’d greatly appreciate it.

My use case for the outline is solving an old problem I had regarding overlaying textures on meshes. I’ve given up on trying to make overlaying textures and instead move to glowing outlines, but I have no clue how to do that. I’m trying to make something like the above hat, but where the outline and the model itself are two separate meshes uploaded to the site so I can create a glowing effect for, say, a powerup or special weapon skill.

I have done my research, but results are inconclusive. I don’t even know what it’s called. I plan to be working with Blender 2.9 (current version I have).

All its faces are flipped on the outer layer, which creates this kind of cel shading:

It was used in one of my previous game titles that I have been working for: Radispook(which unfortunately has been closed again for long updates).

Some Wikipedia page. Apparently they call it “ink” outlining.

2 Likes