What is your Rojo workflow?

It’s frustrating to me that there aren’t any Rojo tutorials beyond the provided documentation. I’ve looked through all posts containing “Rojo” and found nothing useful. Because of this, I have some questions that might help me and others searching for help in the future.

1. Do I have to edit the default.project.json every time I want to add a partition?
  2. How is modeling supposed to work? I’m not going to type thousands of objects into a model.json.
  3. What is your Rojo workflow?
    a. How do you use it with multiple programmers?
    b. How do you use it with Git?
8 Likes

Howdy!

Documentation is definitely pretty sparse, especially on 0.5.x. The project changes in 0.5.x probably aren’t helping you find relevant information either, sorry about that!

You shouldn’t need to add a partition very often, so editing default.project.json shouldn’t be too bad. You’d normally do this if you start adding scripts to a new location like ServerScriptService or such.

Rojo has partial support for working with rbxmx and rbxm models. It’s probably enough for small stuff like RemoteEvent objects or terrain in some cases, but it’s missing some important things for doing Part objects and the like.

What a lot of people do with both Rojo and other syncing tools is check in their place files into version control as an rbxl or rbxlx file. This does open you up to accidentally checking in old stuff, but means you can have anything you want in your place file, even stuff that Rojo doesn’t know about. This is the approach that @ContextLost and I used in our hack week project last year, Luanoid.

In an ideal world, you shouldn’t need to keep a place file in version control. Rojo is growing more and more features that should help make that a reality like the rojo build command and model file support.

I’ll be starting and posting a few projects that demonstrate these ideas in isolation in the future, I just have to find time for it. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you for the information! Could you clarify what you mean by checking in a place file to version control?

Not LPGhatguy, but you can see how they uploaded the entire place file at luanoid-test-place.rbxlx in addition to uploading their scripts at src. These are already included in the place file but the rest is not handled by Rojo. Verison control meaning something like Git.

2 Likes