What is your way of building with patterns?

I enjoy building with patterns rather than flat walls, however it’s difficult to build anything like this as prebuilt structures don’t usually match up when you rotate and move them to other prebuilt parts.

Here is an example of what I’m talking about

This is a hallway I made with prebuilt parts, however if I were to make anything with these prebuilt models other than a straight hallway, it gets completely unaligned, and I’m not sure how to fix it.

How do you guys go about building with prebuilt models?

2 Likes

I suggest duplicating the prebuild models.

1 Like

That’s what I’ve been doing, however rotating the model usually screws it up and it’s difficult to build complex hallway layouts like this.

I suggest paying attention to the position of the models. Make sure it is not like “0.363864, 1.274585, 72.8354”.

1 Like

See that’s a big issue with me, as when you rotate anything, you get large floating points in the position of the models which is basically impossible to fix.

What you may have to do is re-create the pre-built section at a different angle and then move along the part’s/model’s axis in order to ensure it stays in the right spot (as opposed to moving along world axis). For the areas where hallways join up you may need to get creative in how the hallways look where they are connected, especially if they aren’t at right angles.

1 Like

A way to get around this is by sizing a large brick around the whole assembly, and grouping it. This will make the center of mass the large brick’s center of mass, allowing you to rotate everything without hassle. Make sure the length and width of the brick are divisible by two, and it should rotate how you want it to.

1 Like

I have though of another possible solution. Maybe attempt using this plugin: https://www.roblox.com/library/165687726/Stravant-GapFill-Extrude-Fixed

And no, I am not trying to advertise in case anyone wants to misinterpret me again.

Those “pre-built” parts you’re talking about are something called “modular assets” which is a very common method of map creator for most games made by both AAA and indie studios because it saves time and money.

This isn’t directly applicable to your hallway problem, but more generally if I know I’ll need to have a lot of an asset, I try my hardest to make them modular. Take for instance, the map I made for Power Simulator:

I knew I needed two whole cities worth of buildings, and I didn’t want the buildings to look too similar to each other, so I created them in a way that allows me to easily “snap” on building details:

Each door, window, and additional detail was assembled at a consistent increment (in this case, 20 studs) so that I could easily move the details onto the blank building behind it.

So for your hallway situation, you may need to redesign some of the parts to fit on other modular pieces - meaning you will need to assemble a list of additional assets as well, such as a tight turn left/right, a wide turn left/right, staircase, etc. You can’t expect one asset to fit seamlessly to another separate asset if they weren’t meant to be together (sometimes you get lucky, but most of the time you won’t be).

Here’s a link to a bunch of threads on Polycount about it. Most of the time they’re referring to Unity or Unreal, but many of the tips are universal:
http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Modular_environments

6 Likes