What makes a good FPS map? (First person shooter)

Walls are an obvious and so are corners. But anything else?

3 Likes

can you give an example? because I can’t understand.

Places to hide/recover places to have higher ground and lots of corners are some good ideas

you want to focus on what the objective of a round will be, capture the flag, team deathmatch etc and build off of that sort of idea

Well I’ve done some research and it seems that most people in here have NO CLUE about map design and map types.

Generally roblox games use maps in a “fishbowl” style, this is essentially where terrain is blocking you in a map and there’s all of the relevant stuff in the centre, it’s a very boring style of map which is most commonly used in simulators.

However for an FPS map, depending on the pace of your game you can do a 3 lane system, basically there’s 3 general lanes going through the map with lots of cutscenes throughout, the lanes can be connected together at certain points of the map too, if you look at call of duty maps, EVERY cod map uses this 3 lane system, so if you research into some cod maps you’ll get a rough idea of how to set out 3 lane maps.

For more slower paced shooters such as Rainbow 6 siege, they use “reverse fishbowl” style maps, essentially its where there’s a central piece in the middle such as a restaurant or a big house, and the players in the house have to defend the players who spawn outside the house from getting inside and defusing the bomb. This is hard to explain but if you do some simple Internet searches on Rainbow 6 Siege maps you’ll see what I’m talking about.

2 Likes

Good question.

For me it would be a place where it is based on something. Take Arsenal as an example: the map Sandtown takes place in a town, and Dizzy takes place on top of a skyscraper.

You might also need some places to hide, and an open area for fighting.

It actually depends on what type of FPS game. If it’s a fast-pace one like Arsenal, make it small. If it’s a battle royale, make it big.

There are quite a lot of online guides about map design. I recommend you search for some.

Made a map. By all of your tips:

Pretty small I know

4 Likes

Not bad! My next steps would be to add lots of detail to the map, it really has to sell the experience. Even COD maps, which are really just based around the gunplay (rather than a game like Escape from Tarkov, where feel of the map is a priority), have a lot of detail in them, barrels, debris, props in rooms, all sorts of stuff. That’s what really sells the feel of the game. So far though, it’s an awesome start!

1 Like

Good detail and good gameplay. This is how you make a map. You block it out. Add just blocks no detail. Get the layout down and then play testing it. You will find out what works and what doesn’t. Then you refine the map and play test again. Refine and play test again. Then you refine and play test again. After you got the layout down with the blocks then you add the detail and make its look like a map. Add the detail and play test. Add more detail and play test. Add more detail and play test. Then you do a final polish with everything and play test again and now you got a finished map that fun to play.

1 Like

This really depends on a variety of factors. Namely:

• Purpose.
  • Intended play count.
  • Intended weapon used.
  • Game mode.

And more that I will not list here (as that will take a while).

An example will probably help. Let’s say Phantom Forces, a game where most Roblox players would’ve at least tried once in their life time. Phantom Forces has a variety of maps but for the sake of simplicity, I will use the ones that most accurately support my point.

Crane Site and Mirage are both maps that are larger in comparison to the other maps featured. It has many high vantage points - perfect for long range weaponry such as sniper rifles and scout rifles.

Then there’s maps such as the Laboratory and Locker, two maps that almost revolve entirely inside a building with no long or very clear lines of site with the exception of some areas - obviously not good for either weapons mentioned above. So most players will usually pick a shotgun or a SMG since it better fits the map.

Then there’s other games such as Impulse and Hellreaver, pure FFA games. In both, you see similarities in terms of mobility, allowing players to move around very quickly, use and pick up a variety of weapons that all work practically the same (in terms of how good they are to use) in every map the games offer.

Now on to referring to your current map you’ve made. It honestly looks very similar to Bastion by Raticide (which isn’t a bad thing), though in terms of map quality, bastion still has the slight upper hand. While it is to be acknowledged Bastion is a TPS (third person shooter) and is designed for the use of assault rifles mainly so it might not be the best fit to this topic but as you can likely see, it has many features you want from a map in general. One thing I like about Bastion is that most forms of cover are integrated into the map itself, as you would also see in many Phantom Forces maps, and it honestly looks nicer in general that way. While tons of barricades might suit your map theme, it might not be the best aesthetic look as you go on to build different and more complex maps.

Either way, the maps you’ve made seemed to be a good start. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

1 Like

Yes. I do it like what people would do in reality for building. I make the “skeleton” aka the base of the map, then add the walls etc. then design and finally spawns

I was just thinking of a map design like a fortress. Didn’t exactly mean to try and copy it xD

1 Like