What makes a good loot box opening animation?

I’m making cosmetics for my game, taking a lot of inspiration from rocket league. These cosmetics will be ~80% of my revenue, so perfecting the crate (loot box) opening I feel is crucial. I’ve made this so far, but it feels a little dull, lacks anticipation / a dopamine rush. What would help achieve this?

One thing to note, these cosmetics have five rarities: common, uncommon, rare, epic and legendary, all of which have their own unique color. The color of the particles when the lid shoots off show the rarity of the cosmetic.

EDIT: Will post a video with sound in a moment.

1 Like

Video with sound:

Im not a big fan of lootboxes but I know they are crucial to some games so I’d like to give my input as to what I like about them. First, I feel you should make the box break open like something is punching it open. That always make feel a bit of excitement. Second you could make different animations for different rarities like making it a bit more dramatic if it’s a legendary for instance. And 3rd you should make the whole animation a bit more dramatic. If you go with the box breaking open. You could rotate the camera around the box a little bit or move it forward a bit faster or something. Also if you don’t like the breaking open the box idea you could make a random animation for each lootbox. Like one animation could raise the box in the air and slowly open the lid with light pouring out or another animation could have the box inflate 'till it explodes. Having different animations for each opening makes it feel a bit more special.

2 Likes

I would make it drop out of the sky/top and slam down with a bounce maybe

1 Like

Add more actions, such as a lightning strike on the crate, a rpg explosion, volcano eruptions etc

Btw remember to fill in the questionnaire for robux luck lootboxes if you haven’t already :slight_smile:

1 Like

You need more build up to the loot box opening. There is subtle build up in the crate animation and the music that plays, but it is somewhat lackluster. Can also add more tasteful particles too. Overall though, it’s heading to the right direction.

My little nephew was looking at the screen when I was playing your loot box animation and he was excited btw!

1 Like