What makes a good UI based game?

I am currently starting to make a new game but its going to only have UI.

What is the most important part about UI games?

• Is it the UI itself? (What styles?)
  • How do I keep it interesting without player to player interactions?
  • How do I keep it interesting without a world to explore?
  • Should I do 1 player severs?
3 Likes

Keep the UI simple, clean and easy to understand. But while doing that make it something that players would look at and go “This is a well made game.”

2 Likes

You must add fun and good animations. Make every button “fun” to press. Always show feedback to the player (for example: change button color on hover). Also, add sounds that fit the UI well, sounds are a big deal.
The UI should be minimalistic, you should use 2-4 colors, clean, flat buttons and one font. To make it more interesting you can give achievements and tasks for the player (example achievement: “You clicked XYZ button 100 times!”). When you’ve done the UI, ask a friend, or somebody to test out the UI, make sure they understand it without your help.

I think these are the main things you sould do.

4 Likes

A UI based game is really just a 2D game. Forcing 2 vectors seems like it would limit you in many ways, but 2D games usually have better game design than 3D or 2.5D games. I am talking about all video games and game design, not just Roblox, but If we are being Roblox specific you need to think about a young audience and multiplayer.

For any game design help you would need to be specific about what genre you want to make. Here is a video that talks about 2D game design and how to make good art for one: 5 Steps To Making A Gorgeous 2D Game - YouTube

3 Likes

Let me further clarify it is a website related game the UI will be in website format

Website game? Like .io games, or what do you mean?

Add a lot of sound effects and interaction to it, make it seem alive in some way

1 Like

Like the game will have a background of a website.

can you show some examples? i still have no idea of what website your even referencing since there’s billions of different website styles.

Like A google Chrome, Safari but like with my own spin!

Not like separate websites but like giving the vibe you could say

Use a lot of TweenPosition. It’s mental abuse, but it looks good.
Also, use a lot of UI Corners. They add a nice touch to UI.
And now for colors.
This is my Color. Pallete I use a lot of the dark purue (purple blue), and the first one, dark.
So,

To keep it interesting, all you need is to use Tweens, but don’t make them too long. That makes it very boring to watch.
And to keep it interesting, all you really need is corners, and a good style, and colors.

All I have to share with you really. Also, add local bluring to the background of pop ups. It looks so much better and adds a nice touch.

1 Like

I have seen this done before and I agree it makes it look nice how do you do this?

a color change on the button i’m hovering on won’t exactly make that button ‘fun’ to press, I don’t see your point

local  q = script.Parent
local a = game.Players.LocalPlayer.PlayerGui:WaitForChild("TwitterCodes").Frame
local e = Instance.new("Blur", game.Lighting)
q.MouseButton1Click:Connect(function()
	if a.Visible == false then
		a.Visible = true
		a:TweenPosition(UDim2.new(1,0,1,0), "Out", "Type", .755, true)
		a.Text = "Text"
		coroutine.wrap(function()
			for i = 1, 35 do
				e.Size += 1			
				task.wait(0.01)
			end
		end)()

else
		a:TweenPosition(UDim2.new(1,0,1,0), "Out", "Type", .755, true)
		task.wait(.5)
		a.Visible = false
		a.Text = "Text"
		coroutine.wrap(function()
			for i = 1, 35 do
				e.Size -= 1			
				task.wait(0.01)
			end
		end)()
	end
end)

I think, typed it in here. lmk if there’s any errors.

1 Like

That’s just an exampe of a feedback.
A hover effect will not make that button fun to press.

1 Like

oh, but making the button fun to press was right before that so i got confused

This would work even if the background is just ui?

Also @IceTheOneAndOnly, @Xsticcy and @DarkPixlz

1 Like

Yeah, make the background the last color (darker black), and then all the prompts dark, if not using the blur.

1 Like