What other buildings could I make that would fit the aesthetic of this current house?

I’m aware that the style of building is Victorian/ Edwardian, and the specific reference I’m taking this from are the painted ladies in San Francisco. But the question is, what other style of building would fit? Looking to make a couple city blocks just as a showcase to build a portfolio finally and want different types of architecture that could work together. I’ve been mostly looking at colorful coastal cities; should I just continue doing so? Leave your suggestions down below if you want. I’m looking to make buildings that pop in color.

Also, leave critique on the current building in the OP if you wish :smile:. The front is all the detail it’ll basically have.

9 Likes

Hey, I just want to start by saying that the building you have shown there is a nice build however I have a few things to say.

I believe you are going for a higher end town & city look.
With shapes and building features you have definitely achieved a great look however…

What could be improved in the current build:

The colour scheme is ruins the potential within the build and it’s shapes.
White & Red are ok colours however on this build the variant is way to bright.

Maybe try a more subtle salmon pink or a light yellow, to compliment the white, not fight against it.

What could you add going further:

I definitely like the look of this build and it would have great potential as being part of a high-end looking street.

I definitely see the same look as found in the ’ Lego Creator Modular Sets ’ which have a few different great buildings.
Maybe looking at some images of current sets would help you with some building ideas to match this style.

Future builds could include:

• Old Style Fire Station.
  • City Hall Building.
  • Cafe / Restaurant.

Final Note - from me:

This is a really clean build and with a few changes to colour aesthetics like I mentioned above I see great potential.

Please keep me updated and post more photos to this thread or create another for me to see any future progress.

Sincerely,
Double_Dev

3 Likes

@Double_Dev To say that the build is “ruined” due to its colours is, in my opinion, unnecessarily exaggerative. Despite its colour use, the build is very good-looking.

I’d tone down the red to be more desaturated as well as making the square borders along the bay windows a darker shade of white than the white used for the rest of the window. A window above the door may also make it look less empty.

In terms of “other buildings”, you only need to look up some townhouses for inspiration.

Additionally, brick may come in handy to break what seems like a constant flow of sliding. You do want to have something to break a monotony, while not being overly noticeable. That’s what keeps a build interesting. :slight_smile:

Ideas

1 Like

@Somnar @Double_Dev The colors themselves are meant to be a bit exaggerated, so I’m afraid that by toning them down it’ll take away from the wanted aesthetic. I do agree though that another color could be introduced to the scheme, so I’ll play around and see.

Looks amazing! Some windows on the sides of the house, and some Generators on the side as well good add a nice aesthetic to the whole thing. I always loved the old 60s and 70s styles houses.

Ah, understandable.

Regardless, I still believe the monochromacy of colour leads the build to be quite dull. If there was a greater range of red colours (purely for the sake of example, having the top level of a house the red you have chosen, and the bottom level a more subtle brick red) then I believe the build could be much more interesting. Right now, it’s a situation of looking at it and saying “hey, that’s cool.” But to truly appreciate a build, a more diverse range of shades should be used to make certain aspects pop.

I know this has nothing to do with your original query but considering the fact you were open for suggestions…

Also, if the style is Victorian/Edwardian, is this exaggerative or cartoony? To my knowledge, most Victorian and Edwardian houses were quite conservative (as were the people of those times!) Bear in mind that the terms Victorian and Edwardian are only applicable to Great Britain and its former colonies, hence my confusion.

I found a few pictures you could use as referance images.

Possible referance images

Also, @Somnar, @double_dev said [quote=“Double_Dev, post:2, topic:277148”]
The colour scheme is ruins the potential within the build
[/quote]
He said it ruined the potential the build could have if the OP revised it and used the other comments made by other people to make it better

Areas to Improve:

Almost immediately from looking at the image, I can tell that the color is to bright. In order to sell a realistic looking house to a potential player, you want to give it a more practical color scheme. Simple things like dulling the color and adding more hue will definitely do that. Overall, here is a list of helpful tips when looking over any work:

• Color (Is the color practical and does it fit the style)
  • Shapes / Curves (Is the build blocky or curvy, rectangular or more complex)
  • Lighting (Is the build lit properly to the intent of the builder and context of the scene)
  • Style (Is the build modern, cartoony, simple, detailed, realistic)
  • Finally, what do you want the player to notice first (A key detail in the build, a set of lighting, or any other aforementioned factor)

Above all, this build is very clean and is a very good start. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

I wish I could exaggerate the ornateness of most of the buildings, but I don’t have the patience with creating each ornate piece. The color palette is made to be exaggerated mostly if anything. I assume the more appropriate term for the structure itself would be a simple, flat-shaded take on Victorian/ Edwardian architecture- I wish i was more capable as a builder to make them look truly detailed.

Also, Victorian/ Edwardian (I’m not entirely sure which style the buildings I’m making fall under exactly) simply refers to the type of architecture/ style that was spread from the UK into other places- being simply a product of globalization :smile:. If you’re speaking about the social environment of Victorian/ Edwardian times, that would probably be referring to the UK exclusively most likely (even though other countries mimicked.)

Oh, I wasn’t referring to how ornate the build is! Indeed, it would be useless (in my opinion) to add further detail to what doesn’t need to be detailed. The build looks fine as it is: its simplicity gives it a detailed vibe on the basis of your present lighting choice.

What I was suggesting was giving different colours to the levels you wish to make “pop.” To give an example, I’ve made a quick sketch.

Sketch

Colour is a spectacular tool that can be utilised to give a very good feeling to a place. Designing a palette for yourself comprising multiple shades of greys and reds, would work in your favour, making the build more immersive and making specific aspects appeal to the individual who looks upon your build.

You can see this (to a degree) in the images that I referenced in my first post. The first image (Notting Hill, London) has a less subtle colour of brick at the base. The second image uses larger windows at the base. The third one, on some buildings but not all, uses differentiating colours and/or patterns for different levels. Experimenting and figuring out a way to use pattern, style, and colour on different levels for individual buildings – and not relying on the same style for each building – is what makes a place unique and allows it to stand out.

Similarly, I would not dub yourself as being a less capable builder. Building is a skill that takes practice, patience, attention to detail, attention to colour and style, and overall effort, but building is not impossible. You proved this by the fact you created this house in the first place. Many would lack the patience to do the same.

1 Like

Ended up getting stuck on a color palette for the OP building that I enjoyed, so I started on another building to help spare the time and decide.

(I mightve forgotten to fix some things with resize align, but some of it is intentional so…)

I think my main problem is color theory :sweat_smile:

Criticism is wanted, as im going to follow this style with the ornate structure for all other windows

2 Likes

I believe -
1.you can modify the building a bit more
2.Desaturate the red colour a bit

This way you can easily match the building with a modern farming town