What Program do You Find Works the Best?

Alright, so pretty straight-forward title and question, besides photoshop, what is the best photo editor for Roblox graphics? Photoshop won’t run correctly on my new pc, so I need a new option. I tried paint.net, and it isn’t bad.

Here is what I got from that

The GFX is ok Imo, but could use some more work.
What do you all recommend? Thank you for your opinions, as they are very useful! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Both Paint.net and Gimp are excellent general purpose image editing tools. You can do decently high quality work in either program, albeit you’ll be forfeiting some time-saving features and other advanced features that programs such as Photoshop and Clip Studio have. Inkscape is pretty cool too for vector graphics.

You should check out Gimp since you’ve already seen Paint.net.

1 Like

Paint.net is amazing to use. It can be just as powerful as Photoshop. I think you might need to explore more into it though.

The first thing you should work on is your lighting on your render. I recommend getting a lightroom or even creating your own. Your render is pretty bland at the moment.
The second thing is that you shouldn’t make the render floating. You made the character’s foot touch the edge a little, but it still looks awkward. I recommend lowering the render.
The third thing is that you need to change the effects you use. Right now, the icon is just filled with white lines and sparkles. Maybe try a lens flare?
The forth recommendation is that you should change the background or the text. The reason why is because the text blends too much with the background and if you want the text to pop, you will need to change it.

Overall, it is not too bad but it just needs more work. Although you already tried out paint.net and become decent with it, I also suggest trying out Gimp.

1 Like

Aside from free stuff, there’s some really good pay-once software by Serif under the brand of Affinity.

They have 3 programs at the moment (one in beta) – Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher (beta). Each one costed me $75 NZ ($50-60 USD I believe).

I use all of their software – they’re really good, and can compare with Adobe’s Photoshop and Illustrator. I recommend Affinity Photo in this context, especially if you have some money to spare. Check them out at affinity.serif.com

I always use GIMP to make icons, artworks, and all that jazz. You should try it out! :smiley:

I’ve been using Paint.net for like 5 years or something now. I’ve never thought about replacing it once.

2 Likes

I am currently trying out gimp, it ain’t half bad. However, when I am trying to resize like my render (since its resolution is very high), it turns out super blurry. Is there a way to fix that?

I find paint.net to be a very powerful software for editing. With practice, you could use it to create projects at the same caliber as you could on photoshop. Also, paint.net is FREEEEEEEEEEEE

1 Like

Paint.net is amazing! The plugins just make it so much better.

1 Like

I am actually going to do a mix between paint.net and gimp. I find I can do more text editing with gimp, and the other stuff works better with paint.net.
Thanks for all the help everyone, I will post a small update when I get an upgraded version of the picture. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is gimp just text editting or is it similar to paint.net? Also is it free?

Gimp is similar to paint.net, you can find it at https://www.gimp.org/

I used gimp to make the text I wanted, and paint.net for the rest. I find it works pretty well, and I am almost done with a new icon.

1 Like

Paint.net is extremely simplified and its perfect to use if you don’t want to complicate yourself, but for really clean shading and overlay work and stuff like that GIMP is a much better alternative because it has more complex options to work with.

It’s best that you resize as soon as you paste the render, because then it will maintain its quality until you deselect it.

Ok, thanks, that helps a ton! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@coolkingll @EmeraldSlash @Aquaventurer @Intended_Pun @cm_an @C0_le

Thank you all for the excellent help! Using both gimp and paint.net, I made the following:

I know it isn’t the best, but it is more of my style, and I feel it looks ok. Thank you once more! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No problem! Glad I helped :smile:

Looks great! Keep it up! :slight_smile:

Thank you! I made another GFX for my group, not sure if I wanna use it yet. I used a mix of paint.net and gimp.

mix'd%20logo