What Quality Should I Upload PBR Textures On?

Recently, I’ve been trying to change the metal textures for my build and I tried to upload 4K Quality textures from CC0 and for 10 minutes of waiting, either it’s not moderated, or the texture file is too large. The thing is, I’m trying to figure a way out if I should 4K, 2K, or 1K. The thing is, I dislike Roblox’s default textures due to how unrealistic they look. Well, I am not really hating since I’ve been using them for a while but what I am trying to do is upgrade my styles into the next level importing PBR textures into studios. Any suggestions on how I can make the textures import faster?

I got plans towards 2K and 1K. But what I am just wondering what you guys think I should do. Else, it’s probably my crappy laptop that’s ruining it.

1 Like

I’m not positive if Roblox supports 2K, but they definitely don’t support 4K.

If you want the textures to import faster, go for 1K.

2 Likes

Alright! They should honest support 4K tbh, anyways thanks though!

2 Likes

I know this thread’s been answered, but I want to reassure you that 4k textures really aren’t ideal for Roblox in any case, and even 2k is pretty high for anything not being used a lot (trim sheets, texture atlases) or in front of the player’s face for a while like a hero asset.

Remember that most players are on low end devices or mobile devices and have to load in textures which can really impact how much players actually enjoy your game. In World//Zero, we only use 1k textures for trim sheets and massive stuff, and even our mounts are 512x or smaller and they look fantastic.

You don’t need a bigger texture in 98% of cases, and you’re harming your playerbase when you do, significantly more than what you gain from high fidelity textures with the “cool” factor.

9 Likes

Roblox only supports texture resolutions up to 1024 x 1024 pixels. Anything higher than that and the image will get downscaled.