What Scripting Program Should I Use?

Hello so, currently I’m looking to switch programs for scripting. I’m thinking about trying out “Visual Studio Code.” I checked it out and it seems real cool and laid out alright.

Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 16.05.54

Mostly am just going to be using it to write out and get more comfortable with C++ and hopefully get used to other languages to script out my own game (As in App Store/Google App Store). Lua generally to make more games on Roblox. Any suggestions or feedback will be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Well, roblox uses lua and I don’t think you can use c++ with it.

1 Like

Roblox does use some c++ but lua is still more convenient since its used way more

2 Likes

I know Roblox uses lua, but I’m just saying what program should I use.

Yeah I know but what program should I use. To learn more about scripting you know?

If you want to learn more about scripting on roblox, why not just use lua?

Developers cannot use C++ with Roblox.

They can learn if they want to become staff or get a job elsewhere or make games for other platforms though.

2 Likes

you can use Roblox Studio to learn Lua. Your able to script your games in there.

2 Likes

Personally I use visual studio code. It has a nice design and it’s easy to get used to.

This person wants to learn C++, as said in the post.

Also, Visual Studio Code does support lua (and alot of other programming lnaguages

1 Like

I know but I’m generally wondering what program but thanks for the feedback.

They asked what program to use for C++, as said here in the post:

3 Likes

I use Visual Studio Code if I’m making plugins or modules or using Rojo.

I use Roblox Studio out of convenience for most scripts in game.

4 Likes

I like Atom better than VSC. It has a better UI (in my opinion) and there’s a lot of handy plugins just like in VSC. You can also create custom bindings that make writing code a lot easier/faster.

2 Likes

As others have said, you’d have to use Lua.

That said, personally I’d just stick with using Roblox Studio. While yes, plugins like Rojo can help and I know there are teams which use it fully, I’ve just found in my experience it’s far easier to just stick with Studio. Yes, VS Code is very easy to use in general, but since Roblox doesn’t officially support it, you’re forced to rely on plugins which don’t always support the set of features of you need, are inconvenient to use and set up, or are limited in what they can do. It’s easier to work with the Roblox datamodel within Studio itself.

That said, for C++ VS Code is a solid choice, though there’ll be a bit of setup involved if you’re on Windows. I’d recommend looking into getting WSL as I’ve found that’s a bit easier than trying to get C++ working on Windows well, especially for command line interfacing.

1 Like

Roblox Studio uses a specific adaptation of the lua codebase, named ‘Luau’, which you can download for Visual Studio Code at this link. Setting it up is fairly explanatory, and serves as a playground for Roblox programming outside of Roblox Studio.

However, if you are looking into another programming language, I would definitely recommend learning JavaScript or node.JS, as it has many web applications for Roblox (Since we are on the Roblox devforum), as well as webhooks and api applications. Additionally, it is quite similar to Lua, as a light-weight programming language.

Though, if you are just looking for general Roblox scripting, I would stick to Roblox Studio, as it is the most relevant.

This question either looks like “What Code Editor* Should I Use?” or “What Programming Language* Should I Use?”

You can’t use C++ for actual coding of games in Roblox albeit it being the language used to make the engine.

Your picture shows extensions for C++ and Lua. Could you explain what you your question is?

How did u get to choosing lua or c++? in the visual studio home page i only downloaded Framework?

Wait you can use Visual Code in roblox?

I think there’s been a minor misunderstanding due to a mistype on my part. I was on mobile and didn’t realise I said Visual Code. I mean Visual Studio Code, the code editing program. You can only use the built-in script editor in the actual Roblox Studio program if you want to edit in Studio.

However, with the use of tools such as Rojo, you can edit in an external program and via a local web server and plugin it then syncs this to scripts in the game.

Additionally, when developing plugins or modules that you want to be used in multiple games, there isn’t a need to create these directly in Roblox Studio, especially when prototyping and testing a plugin before wanting to upload it properly. For this, I use Visual Studio Code.

But yeah, I meant the program Visual Studio Code - sorry for any confusion.

1 Like

Ah I see, honestly thank you for the information helps out loads.