What types of games are exploited? And why?

I was reading this thread here:

And it made me wonder if every game needs to think about this. For example, do obbys need to code against exploits? Why would someone exploit a game like that?

I guess the title says it all. What types of games are exploited? And why?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

1 Like

Popular games. And ones where exploiters find vulnerabilities in. Generally a game gets exploited because of a vulnerability they abuse that benefits them.

Simply put, most games have been exploited, from obbies to simulators to tycoons to fps and everything in between. Why? because you canā€™t do anything about the client side of things. Even if your game is tightly secured, an exploiter can easily find a way to bypass it.

1 Like

Usually roleplay games are targetted as the user exploiting finds it ā€˜funā€™ somehow to bully people while they are playing. Also once one exploiter finds a game with a backdoor for example, they would spread the game link to other exploiters and soon it will become a renound game for good exploit testing. Simulators ALWAYS have exploits made for them, such as some auto farms and teleporting to areas which are restricted. Any game can be exploited into, the big issue is if the exploiter gets hold of a way to communicate or get into the server. For example usually remote events have to be made quite secure as they can abuse them.

Exploiters:

Exploits usually find fun in games which are growing and have a good possibility to grow enough to be stable on its own, they like big games. Easy to understand and a basic system. Exploiters are nothing to be afraid of, because there is always a explanation of why and what games could be exploited.

I hope this helped you, :slight_smile:
uD0ge,

This is a really interesting topic, actually.

It goes without saying, but if exploiters have something to gain outside of the game by exploiting a game, they will do it. Without exception. Itā€™s really easy to find games that have player-based economies i.e Rogue Lineage filled to the brim with exploiters because they have methods of selling the items they exploit for in there for real world money.

Outside of that, usually theyā€™ll target low-security games because they have more free range for them to mess around in. Doesnā€™t really matter if itā€™s an obby or the latest tycoon.

Thanks all!

Iā€™m making a game that is a cross between a platform (think sonic) and obby and Iā€™m wondering should I even care about exploiters?

Like, how important is it for me to think about it? I guess the main thing to worry about is will they steal the Roblox that you earn but Iā€™m assuming that is already covered by Roblex platform itself.

So I suppose the next thing they might be able to do is hack that they finished a challenge, and what time they finished, so they could hack their way to the #1 spot in the global leaderboard. Iā€™m not quite sure how to protect against that.

Hmm, yeah, that would suck so thatā€™s what Iā€™ll research how to protect against!