What was the Roblox studio exploit and am i safe?

I’ll probably just uninstall studio until this is resolved, though it’s not necessary it’s probably good to be safe. Good news is, unless this is only targeting really specific people, not much bad has happened from this.

some roblox exploiting incidents are WAY worse than the current ones, honestly. The crosswoods incident was REALLY bad, so was when people hid roblox transactions under GUI somehow (the first time, okay, maybe just an oversight, but then it happened again recently even though it was “fixed”). The people who orchestrate this stuff should probably go to prison, given how much some of the people who make a living off this platform lost. Props to Roblox for getting a warning out fast, though. It’s good they’re informing people of this.

One quick, unrelated note I wanted to add: Before reading this, I was experiencing an issue where the studio UI was enlarged and slightly low-quality (this happens every time I update studio, but normally I can just change an app property and it fixes it). However, this time the issue stayed there even after changing the property and restarting the app. Not sure if it’s related, but its why I came here to devforum and happened to notice the exploit warnings.

TL;DR: just be careful, props to roblox for warning us, and i had some weird issues just now.

1 Like

Two hours later and Roblox is completely broken for me. The website won’t load and Studio and the client are not opening.

2 Likes

I have a question; my pc has crashed an ungodly number of times today (around 11-12 times) and I’ve been scripting a lot today. I am really concerned, could that be related to this?

1 Like

It’s not from this incident, but it’s still weird behaviour, i’d try to check if anything else is being funky on your end

1 Like

a lot of really funky stuff is going on, maybe wait a day and see what happens

1 Like

My studio client has been popping up prompts about missing or corrupted files before the exploit. And it only happens when I have a poor connection, well just for me.

I don’t think the newest exploit would be influenced in this case so you are fine

Anyway, try to reinstall and open studio as administrator, if you are using windows.

1 Like

I would uninstall studio and wait a while until EVERYTHING is cleared up

Meaning put projects on hold for a few hours since the losses can be wayyy worse than the gains

1 Like

It’s not that bad. The vulnerability was documented and shared with Roblox, so Roblox was able to patch it extremely quickly. Any other bugs which arose are likely unrelated or a result of a rushed update, but the hack itself is fixed and you don’t need to worry.

2 Likes

I have Malwarebytes premium. I’m not that concerned.

3 Likes

It required you to have a plugin with the vulnerability installed, and as long as none of the plugins you had were malicious and were by trusted users. Then I think you should be fine. But I would run an antivirus scan and look for anything suspicious.

I think it should be at #bug-reports:studio-bugs no?

No. It got fixed i was just asking what the hell it was about. Plus i can’t post there.

Ok. How you fixed it, so? Have a good day!

It was a Roblox issue. They fixed it.

1 Like

For anyone wondering how it works, the people who found it posted an amazing article here: https://github.com/latte-soft/0x1D

As for if your safe, I can almost guarantee you are. The people who found it never used it maliciously, they planned on reporting it to hackerone in order to claim bounty money. They ended up leaking it publicly because it was going to be patched by Roblox, and they could no longer report it for money. It was patched extremely quickly after it was released publicly, and to my knowledge 0 plugins on the marketplace actually had it, the only plugins with it where used for testing and not ever published.

If you have updated your studio, I would be willing to bet money on the fact your safe. If you haven’t, go do that.

7 Likes

Ok now I am unable to play any Roblox game with more than 1 or 2 fps and having an empty baseplate open for more than 5 minutes crashes studio.

4 Likes

Maybe G-Sync?

I believe it was the hack, a few days ago my pc stopped detecting my gpu and it was really overheating even when I wasn’t using it (bitcoin mining probably.) After that a few days later i couldn’t boot into my pc, and when i used the Explorer cmd from recovery mode my pc was spammed with weird files and processes. Once I ended a process my pc rebooted and after that it didn’t ever show the bios again. I’ve had to use a spare motherboard and lose months of data due to this. I wish Roblox was more secure.

You literally lying. The bios is basically impossible to access. That’s not Roblox.

The BIOS certainly isn’t impossible to access, there’s certain vulnerabilities in them, and on devices such as laptops, you generally update within your OS, and not with any flashing process before you get into your bootloader.

1 Like