What would be the best way to implement a store using only SurfaceGui?

The Problem
Howdy folks of the forum! I have recently been thinking about the best course of action to implement a shop into my game. A lot of the game is uses SurfaceGuis so I figured a shop that had a focus on SurfaceGuis would be the best bet.

The problem is I am completely stumped. I have thought of a couple way to go about doing this, but there are things that are making it harder for me to make a decision.

I am the only person working on the game and I am mostly good at scripting, so I am trying to keep the shops simple, for that reason I was thinking of having the camera only see 1 wall of the building, this being the back wall with the cashier. But I also thought that maybe I could have the player walk around similar to Lumber Tycoon and shop that way. Where they grab something and bring it to the counter.

I would like to keep to the idea of the player only seeing one wall thought. The problem with this is there are categories of items, and there are many items in the game for sale.

The Question
So my question is what do you guys think is the best way to go about have a surface UI and keeping it organized and also fitting it all on one wall?

I have thought about having rows, but there just isnt enough room in 3 rows to fit all the items, they would have to be scrolling rows. But how could I implement scrolling rows into the shop naturally? So many questions I have. Hopefully by posting here you guys can give me some feedback and we can brainstorm together.

Thanks and have a good one!

1 Like

If I understand correctly, you want a floating screen of some sort to appear behind the cashier? Something sort of similar to floating menus in online Minecraft servers?

The first thing that comes to my mind is tabs. Have a list of buttons at the top of the screen for each category. When the player clicks a button, all items of that category will be displayed.

Hope this helped!

1 Like