What's Coming in 2019: This Year's Developer Roadmap

I can’t wait for the future is bright sun shadows!

Universe scripts, 64-bit servers, type-checking lua, STREAMING min radius (For games that need a minimum view distance), custom materials, AND MORE.

Here’s to a great 2019! (Even though it’s already April)

Excited to see these changes being rolled out

3 Likes

Looking at the updated road map, there are a few things I am really excited for.

Terrain Vegetation - This sounds pretty cool. I hope that performance doesn’t change with the grass.
Typed Lua - This is going to make scripting a bit faster, so thank you.
Script Collaboration - As a developer who works with others, this sounds amazing.
Fast Game Testing for Large Worlds - YAY! Finally, I won’t have to wait so long to test my games!

Overall, most of the items on the road map sound awesome and I can’t wait to see them put in action! Thank you to everyone who is going to or is currently working on these!

3 Likes

Noooooooooooooooooooo, my skyboxes!!! This will be the 7th year I harass you guys about skyboxes!

I’m excited about all of the performance focused changes in the pipeline. Performance is so important for the slow machines out there!

27 Likes

I’m glad to see streaming enabled is being heavily optimized. I think streaming enabled is such an important tool, if Roblox can figure out the kinks.

Looking forward to all of these other changes.

6 Likes

did my feature request get through? :eyes:

9 Likes

Looks very exciting this year! I’m really looking forward to things such as custom materials, phased game updates, and script collaboration! I also can’t wait to see the terrain vegetation update!

Really hyped to see all the amazing new features Roblox has been pushing out lately! Really hyped to see whats to come!

1 Like

hype hype hype! can’t want for these features

Based on the wording, will object shadowing be available for light instances on the sun shadows update or will it fall under phase 3? i.e player character casting shadows via fire light

Sorry :frowning: Prioritization is hard. We want ALL THE FEATURES, but we never have enough time for that.

5 Likes

Light object shadows are phase 3 and as such won’t happen this year based on the current roadmap. Phase 2 = sun shadows, which means “sun casts precise shadows from all objects”, but that doesn’t change behavior of other light objects.

5 Likes

Ah, dang that’s a bummer. Thanks for the update on that!

Just to clarify. “on by default” = “on for new places”. We don’t think streaming is going to be good enough for every existing game to enable it by the end of the year, but we think it can be a better default.

And yeah “atomic” streaming + better streaming control is on our radar but it’s not clear yet whether it can ship this year or not.

3 Likes

Defenitely a lot more than last years, and not only that but Updates we have been waiting for many years, like Shadows, And Custom Materials!

Just one quick question, is Terrain Vegetation going to be also added as a separated brush for those who dont use Smooth Terrain as their main Terrain?

Will there be any collaborations in the future with other software companies to develop, Lets say Substance Painter acces for roblox games development? or maybe Maya?

2 Likes

Is there a reason Roblox hasn’t used 64-bit for the servers? I can’t really see the broader compatibility reason used for releasing a 32-bit client.

5 Likes

Looks promising. Can’t wait!!! New materials + Terrain Colormaps + Terrain Vegetation = fantastic!! Combined with the new FIB Lighting and Character importer, Roblox could be up there with Unity!

3 Likes

Vegetation is going to be a feature that’s only available for smooth terrain. We have some plans for “macro” vegetation systems that would cover trees - this would be separate from terrain - but no current plans to implement “micro” vegetation outside of terrain. Of course you’re free to use meshes for this.

5 Likes

I can’t wait to see typed Lua, especially since other programming languages have typechecking.

3 Likes

Custom Materials? I’m very excited for this can’t wait to see it implemented! :star_struck:

1 Like