What's Coming in 2019: This Year's Developer Roadmap

Typed Lua is now back in quarter 3 again and universe scripts are now on track again. Can’t wait for Typed Lua to release!

In general please do not use this topic for feedback/bugs on upcoming/existing features, as not all engineers and managers will be reading over this category looking for that kind of feedback. You’ll probably want to file a feature request or bug report in the Platform Feedback category instead (if the feature isn’t out yet, please wait until it is released).

This topic should be used for asking / commenting on questions related to the timeline presented in the first post.

EDIT: to avoid any confusion: the posts this was referring to above have been removed by the authors, this is not aimed at one particular person.

4 Likes

Is the auto-exposure system still going to ship with phase 3 or has that been bumped up to 2.5?

1 Like

Future is Bright – Sun Shadows (2019)

Developers can enable and use sun shadows for any object in a scene.

Didn’t Roblox already have sun shadows back in 2007 (at least for players)?
image image

image image

1 Like

I’m I’m not mistaken these were fairly limited and also didn’t include anything but the actual humanoid, so if you were wearing a hat (antlers for example), it wouldn’t show up in your shadow map.

New lighting system is much more complex and allows for the same effect to be achieved in a efficient and beneficial environment.

2 Likes

I wonder if this will be an exclusive thing, or if it’s an automated thing where it sense when a map is large and turns on. I’d just be thrilled to see how a 64 bit server runs a fairly small map with lots of physics based things all running simultaneously. I’m hoping that this might help with some of the weird “laggy” related bugs that physics objects tend to have when collisions get a lil wonky.

2 Likes

Most likely all servers will be x64.

While I’d like to believe this, I think that might still be a ways out. Last time they attempted changing all the servers over to something else, we had connection issues for 3 weeks. I feel it’ll be a slow roll.

But who knows. Maybe they will dump everything over all at once, and we’ll suffer out for a bit until it stabilizes.

Yeah, i also wonder. Servers already are 64bit, i think they meant 64bit worlds. The problem is, if the client is still 32bit, the world would have to move around the client from 0,0,0, since floating point will still be an issue further out on 32bit client. That’s the only way i can think of it working (i could be wrong though)

This means 64-bit architecture and doesn’t impact number storage. It says “on track” because we are still not 100% 64-bit - you have a small chance of getting a 32-bit server today.

6 Likes

Will clients stay 32bit for a few more years? (well as in supporting 32bit computers)

Also i’ve looked around for answers to no avail, perhaps you could answer, what’s the multi-threaded/core physics that’d been in the change logs? is there going to be an announcement? If not, how does it work, what’s the benefits?

1 Like

Clients will stay 32-bit for now - we would like to not have to maintain both 32-bit and 64-bit clients on Windows, and a fair number of our users are still on 32-bit OSes…

There will be announcements about multi-threading improvements later this year.

6 Likes

Not part of 2.5. We’re getting our hands full with 2.5 as it is :sweat: it’s exciting but a bit complicated, with a nice surprise. We’ll probably need to do auto-exposure before phase 3 but regardless this will not happen this year.

2 Likes

I also want to know if we will get specific types. For example: we have the
number type, but will we get access to int, float, or double.

Also, I’d like to know if type checking will also work with roblox classes.

(I’m not sure if this goes into type checking)
In the typed lua system, will we be able to define the length of an array and what type of values you want to have in that array.

I mean, it’s still Lua, so no, you’re not going to get more specific with numbers-that’s not how it works

Hey, i was wondering if Roblox is gonna implement anything like OpenColorIO for the color and exposure management, blender implemented it a while back i believe and it allows for s-log, raw, film-emulsion emulation etc.

Blender Guru also made a popular video on this:

Opencolorio is also implemented in Krita, Photoshop, Cryengine3 and a few more professional video and photo editing softwares.

https://opencolorio.org/introduction.html

https://docs.krita.org/en/general_concepts/colors/color_managed_workflow.html
https://docs.krita.org/en/general_concepts/colors/scene_linear_painting.html

4 Likes

I would they they would all be x64 bit. I’m hoping we can eventually get a 64 bit client build though.

Eventually in the long-term. For short-term, they do not plan to do a 64-bit client on Windows.

1 Like

I’m really excited for the Universe Script & Game Services and general cross universe updates

2 Likes

Who are in the closed beta and beta?