What's Coming in 2019: This Year's Developer Roadmap

About beaver home time! This is holding back so much potential on Roblox. Will we still be limited to 1024x1024 textures or will we be upped to 2048x2048?

What is the texture workflow that Robles internally uses? Specular? Roughness? These things should be noted upon release as it’ll help us modelers and texture artists make proper textures to be used in Roblox as some of us who use Blender are accustomed to creating PBR materials using the metalness workflow.

33 Likes

I can’t wait for the Custom Materials and Universe Scripts and Game Services! These will really help with the development of my games. I’m hoping that Reflection Probes get added at some point.

8 Likes

So when you say faster Lua interpreter, does that mean something like LuaJIT, or is it just general improvements?

6 Likes

Very interested in how the typed lua will work. Faster interpreter sounds tasty as well!

7 Likes

As a builder the custom materials, sun shadows and lighting, the terrain grass etc would be a awesome fun addition. Thanks for the cool stuff you guys do Roblox is advancing.

Can’t wait to try stuff out when they come out live.

Something I would like is reflections, terrain water has it in a way it would be nice to be able to do it for parts.

4 Likes

I’m very excited by this roadmap!
Especially for this! I could already imagine the things I could make with this, and it will most definitely cause me to get creative with textures.

6 Likes

Awesome to see more things than on last year’s roadmap :smile:

6 Likes

Thank you very much for updating the roadmap, I was one of many developers who voiced their sadness that it hadn’t been updated in a long time.

I’m very excited for upcoming features. Some of the things I’m most excited to see are:

• Packages – Update Controls
  • Custom Materials
  • Packages – Sharing & Collaboration
  • Typed Lua
  • Script Collaboration
  • Game Access Permissions
  • Universe Script & Game Services
  • 64-bit Servers for Large Worlds
  • Ephemeral DataStores

I’m so happy that my list of things I’m hype for is so long too! Typed Lua is really exciting, as is Script Collaboration and Universe Script & Game Services. I’m really really really looking forward to bringing some ideas to life in far more robust ways with some of these additions, as well as making Roblox a more robust platform where I can help teach friends who are interested in learning game design and how to code.

11 Likes

In regards to custom materials, is this also referring to custom terrain materials? I’m very excited for 2019!!

8 Likes

This is a very ambitious roadmap for the year and I absolutely love it. I can say without a shadow of a doubt, even if only half of these ship on time, that this is going to be the single greatest year for new features as of yet. I can also say that this is going to be a fantastic year for improvements in the overall visual quality of Roblox which gets me VERY excited.

Personally, these have me especially hyped:

(future is bright omitted because obviously I’m excited for that)

19 Likes

I hope that all the functions arrive in special these: :smiley:

10 Likes

This year’s developer roadmap is really awesome! I can’t wait for these updates like adding custom materials, also making meshes and models more detailed. This will be one interesting and exciting year! :clap: :+1:

8 Likes

THE HYPE TRAIN HAS OFFICIALLY ENTERED THE STATION LADIES AND GENTLEMENT

54 Likes

4th quarter of 2019 is going to significantly change the entire platform and the quality of what can be created!

4 Likes

YES
YES
YES

97 Likes

Alot of stuff coming this year wow im excited for 64bit roblox player Ultimate driving is gonna be smoother on gtx 1050ti and on intel graphics machines thanks for this updated roadmap! :smiley:

16 Likes

Oooh, faster Lua! Not as exciting sounding as others, but a very welcome upgrade for calculation intensive games like Eclipsis or driving sims

20 Likes

Thanks for releasing this! I’ve been waiting for this!

3 Likes

Loving this roadmap! Finally were beginning to see larger improvements to the platform and a expansion of its capabilities.
Looks like there’s a bit for everyone this time.

6 Likes

This road map has some brilliant features, really motivating me to stay on the platform!

Faster & typed Lua, 64 bit servers, LoD meshes, vegetation, phased game updates!

3 Likes