What's Coming in 2019: This Year's Developer Roadmap

I pray to God the custom textures are also for Smooth Terrain.

17 Likes

Nice to see another roadmap being released!

On that note Iā€™m excited for detailed meshes, custom textures, and new terrain updates. Iā€™m especially excited for terrain vegetation. Canā€™t wait to place some rocks and grass that responds to characters!

Canā€™t wait to see how 2019 progresses, been satisfied with most studio updates recently.

2 Likes

Am I dreamingā€¦?

I am soo excited for these upcoming features!

28 Likes

Script Collaboration!
Game Access Permissions!
Phased Game Updates!!
UNIVERSE SCRIPTS?
FASTER LUA!!!

I cannot wait. I have a great feeling about this year! Good work ROBLOX!

5 Likes

What Iā€™m really looking forward to:

• Custom materials
  • Terrain vegetation
  • Package and script collaboration
  • Faster Lua
  • Faster datastores
  • Universe scripts

Kind of unfortunate they moved universe scripts to q4 of 2019 though, a year late from their original goals.

Actually, vanilla Lua is quite slow. If Roblox upgraded to something like LuaJIT or similar, we would see a speed up of 2-50x depending on the task.

8 Likes

Sadly, they refuse to last I checked.

On another note, Iā€™ve been waiting for most of these features for years ;ā€™). Canā€™t wait to use them in my dream project.

Edit: Now that I think about it, @zeuxcg made a post a little bit ago about potentially making changes to how getfenv/setfenv works. Could be part of the ā€œFaster Luaā€ thing?

2 Likes

Actually, default Lua is faster than any other scripting language, excluding forks, such as JIT ports. The issue with LuaJIT is that it breaks a lot of useful features of the vanilla Lua. A change so drastic would most likely never come to Roblox due to them wanting to somewhat support every game on Roblox, be it new or old.

5 Likes

Theyā€™ve already completely broken all of the games released (and not updated) before FilteringEnabled existed. I doubt thatā€™s their reasoning behind it.

1 Like

Either way, it would break nearly every current game on Roblox too. LuaJIT handles a lot differently compared too normal Lua. There is only so fast you can go with an interpreted language.

4 Likes

Thank you - there is so many features on here that will benefit the performance of our games here, canā€™t wait for the mesh/model LOD and the 64 bit studio to use with Backpacking & SharkBite as they are both terrain/mesh heavy games.

Super happy to see Advanced Terrain Tools and Custom Materials on the map, both requests I was rooting for whilst I was at the HQ as an accelerator :smiley:

5 Likes

Yeah, I know. Would just be nice to have some things perform similarly to native. Opt-in JIT could be a possibility, but then theyā€™d have extra work to do, so I doubt thatā€™ll happen.

3 Likes

LuaJIT does not break many useful features of vanilla Lua. The reason I heard for roblox not implementing it was something about apple banning JIT compilers.

The site shows some of the few features missing in LuaJIT
http://luajit.org/status.html

6 Likes

Thereā€™s also the fact that Roblox sends the client bytecode directly, and JIT uses a completely different format than standard Lua.

3 Likes

Weā€™ll see about that :wink:

26 Likes

These Large World features look very promising, although Iā€™m not so fond of streaming being enabled by default.

8 Likes

Hi, can you settle this argument and explain why Roblox doesnā€™t use JIT currently and whether or not itā€™s a possibility in the future? If not, then why?

4 Likes

Guess we will. If you do make it significantly faster, are you planning on making it open source? If so that would be amazing. I use Lua a lot for personal projects, so anything that can make my programs faster, the better.

4 Likes

Did someone just mentioned ā€œcustom materialsā€? O lord of all surprises this is sooooo excitingā€¦ You can be sure Iā€™ll (ab)use this feature to the maximum.

But waitā€¦ Beta features in studio ?! Does that mean that FVariables are going away? And does they only apply to A/B users??

Edit: I also saw that Universe Scripts were removed from the listā€¦ Are they definitely canceled or just pushed back? nevermind, I didnā€™t see them. I hope they wonā€™t get delayed againā€¦

Man so many questions with thatā€¦ Itā€™s mind-wrecking :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

This will allow so many things :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

You sure youā€™re looking at the right part?

7 Likes