What's default rig are better choose for animating on R15?

Never got thinking about this but recently this question keeps bothering me whenever i’m doing the commissions. I’m more often using the human-like rig to know where do i turn forearm so it could looks correctly.

Here simple demonstration of using every bones to understand my thoughts:

The legs are okay but problems starts with arms, especially for forearms which is slightly moved and hands looks weird when i animate the fists.
unknown_2022.09.02-15.20

I know this ain’t fixable but some kind of suggestion for universal rig would be great

1 Like

this happened cause you didn’t use IK so it doesn’t follow any physic rules
ye and i think you should use the blocky one to animate on R15

2 Likes

of course i know about the IK which is build-in but i’m not relying on it that much and preferring not using it to have more freedom. Still thanks for suggesting.

bruh wut
IK doesn’t litmit your imagination or ‘freedom’ stuff lol, just all about your experience.
the IK helps the char doesn’t look like broken like that one, it gives us connections between joints and the helpful on main joints like the feets are really important for animating idle and fighting stuffs/ ofc movements

i don’t know man, it’s still does to me. After all, i’m really experienced to animate without using it, like long time ago. It’s comfortable for me to animate like that.

1 Like

lol ye ik
but trust me, people are get used to do 1 plut 1 and normal math but and so on, the higher lvl, the higher equation with harder formulas help people touch to new knownledge but in here is our animation quality

ok
⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​⠀​

My goto when animation generally is the classic blocky rig, but since I use Moon Animator 2 to animate most of my stuff I just use my own avatar.

You can use IK to make your animations look a bit more realistic, and it will make R15 animations look better.

1 Like

Do the same animation on the blocky version but this time dont twist the bones, bend in only ONE axis. The reason why the joints are off is due to the fact that you’re rotating the bones, essentially breaking them.

Although its fine in small rotations in twists (like how roblox does it) any more and it’ll look super jank with the current r15 rigs for that matter.

(Ignore the fact that this is in blender, I’m too lazy to go to studio rn)
(This is how it should look like generally)

Animating with the human-like rig will work in the same fashion though if your game only uses that character model, you can get away with twisting more.

Also, IK will not make your animations simply look realistic. Yes it will help with certain factors such as foot planting and grabbing onto a ledge HOWEVER: Failing to understand the use of certain animation rules such as arcs can definitely ruin alot of your work.

If your character does not plan to hold onto anything or grab anything, you probably won’t need IK on the arms. IK on the legs are fine though if you’re in the air, switching to FK will help with keeping the arc movement.

Of course, its still possible to animate every limb with IK but you’ll need to understand the program you’re using as well as how IK works/the movement of arcs.

Example when moving:
Discord_2cbvCt5Rjq

2 Likes

This is not called the human-like rig. This is the Robloxian 2.0 package.

I know but i’m more like to referring it that 'cause it look like a human