What's the code behind the Roblox reset button?

So I’m making a little project and I implemented the typical ragdoll in youtube tutorials where you replace M6Ds with a BallSocketConstraint.

And I’ve noticed, when I’m ragdolled, resetting doesn’t actually make me respawn, I just stay dead in the ground.

Setting my health to 0 in the client console did also not make me respawn.

HOWEVER, doing it from the server DOES respawn me.

So I’m left wondering, what does the reset button actually do? what is required to happen to make the server respawn the character? Are there any workarounds?

1 Like

The reset button typically triggers the character to respawn by resetting its position and state. However, if you’re using custom ragdoll mechanics with BallSocketConstraints, the default respawn functionality may not work as expected. To ensure proper respawning, you’ll need to implement custom respawn logic on the server side, such as resetting the character’s position and health upon respawn. You can achieve this by handling the respawn event on the server and updating the character’s properties accordingly. Alternatively, you can explore existing respawn scripts or modules available in the Roblox community for efficient respawning solutions.

You can use a bindable event for respawning, you can handle it on the client side or send a event to handle it on the server. All previous functionality from the reset button will be gone so you will be required to code your own respawning.

script.ResetEvent.Event:Connect(function()
	-- function or remote event
end)

repeat 
	local success = pcall(function() 
		game.StarterGui:SetCore("ResetButtonCallback", script.ResetEvent) 
	end)

task.wait(1)
until success

For example, you could trigger a ragdoll then move the character back to the spawn point and remove the ragdoll function.

I can’t handle the respawn event (assuming you’re talking about CharacterAdded) since the character doesn’t respawn, it just stays dead.

Ended up using events on the character and remote events to kill the player in the server