What's the difference between type and typeof?

I have been messing around with type and typeof which both do the exact same thing which is return variants (or the Class of the Object)

But I was wondering what is their difference, “Apperently” typeof is faster than type, is that true?

Is there more to it?

3 Likes

type is a Lua function and it returns only vanilla Lua data types. Anything else is a userdata type, including Parts, CFrames, Color3s, etc.

typeof is a Roblox function and it handles every Lua and Roblox data type.

3 Likes

Ok so yeah, I’m dumb, anyway

What exactly do you mean by Roblox Data types?

As in Roblox Globals?

3 Likes

Ok, Thanks for Clarifying :slight_smile:

Just for you to note, type() is slightly faster than typeof(), so when checking vanilla types such as number, boolean, string, etc. make sure to use the vanilla type function. I also recommend using IsA() for all instances if it needs to be a specific class, as typeof() will only return Instance.

1 Like

I meant class as in Instance function thread but yeah, I’ll take that.

function and thread are also vanilla Lua types. Take a look here for more on that.

I Do read these, but still, I was referring to that just so you know.
Thanks tho.

Also I rather not keep bumping this.

1 Like

Another type returned by type() is vector but note the native vector datatype exists only in Luau. But do be aware that vector is only returned when passing a Vector3. Vector2’s, Vector3int16 and Vector2int16 currently don’t return vector, rather userdata (which is another type returned by type())

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.