When I press a button to rotate a part, its rotation get faster over time (that's not supposed to happen)

Simply put, I want it so when I press R, it rotates with a speed of 0.5.

However, everytime I press R, the rotation speed gets faster, which is unwanted.

I’ve tried setting the 0.5 to a variable and reusing it in hopes of fixing, but nope. Didn’t work.

heartBeat = RunService.Heartbeat:Connect(function()
				local mousePosition = UIS:GetMouseLocation()
				local mouseRay = camera:ViewportPointToRay(mousePosition.X, mousePosition.Y)

rotationSpeed = 0.07

--local mouseRay = mouse.UnitRay

local hit = workspace:Raycast(mouseRay.Origin, mouseRay.Direction * 1000, Raycastparams)

if hit then
					UIS.InputBegan:Connect(function(input)
						if input.keyCode == Enum.KeyCode.R then

rKeyPressed = true

while rKeyPressed  do

wait() 

yOrientation = yOrientation + 0.5 

end
						end
					end)

UIS.InputEnded:Connect(function(input)
						if input.keyCode == Enum.KeyCode.R then
							rKeyPressed = false

end
					end)

newAngleCFrame = CFrame.Angles(math.rad(xOrientation), math.rad(yOrientation), math.rad(zOrientation))
					 newCFrame = CFrame.new(hit.Position.X, hit.Position.Y, hit.Position.Z)

placementObject:PivotTo(newCFrame * newAngleCFrame)  

end

--placementObject.CFrame = mouse.Hit

end)

Any help would be appreciated

Video demonstration of the error:

1 Like

Each RunService.Heartbeat, you are creating a new connection. Not only does this eat a lot into the memory, it also means each time you give input it will run the code to increase the angle things however many times you have connected it. You should move these connections outside of the RunService.Heartbeat connection.

I am sorry, I am not quite sure I understand you. Can you elaborate on that a little bit more?

RunService.Heartbeat is known as an RBXScriptSignal. It’s a fancy way of saying it signals to a script when something happens, e.g. .Touched when a part is touched. We can use the :Connect method of the signal to hook it up to the given code. This means whenever that signal fires, it will run the connected code, and is known as an RBXScriptConnection.

:Connect will make a new connection each time, regardless of whether it has already been connected to something else. And, since RunService.Heartbeat fires every 0.001 seconds, each time it is fired, you are hooking it up to the same code again. So, by the time you reach 0.001 seconds, you have hooked up the same code to the event 10 times. This means each time the signal fires, the same code will be run 10 times.

You can fix this by ensuring the connection is only created once. You can find more information in the documentation:
RBXScriptConnection | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub
RBXScriptSignal | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

Ah, I think I understand you now.

But, I would like for a new connection to start at least after the first one ends. Is there anyway I could go on about doing that?

Cheers.

The first one will never “end” - it will still be consuming memory. You need to disconnect it with :Disconnect(), or you could use :Once() to connect only once.

You can use your rKeyPressed variable.

This method should minimise the amount of connections used:

local uis = game:GetService("UserInputService")
local rKeyPressed = false

local function connect()
    while rKeyPressed do
        --do your raycasting code and other stuff here
        task.wait(0.0001) --same interval as heartbeat
    end
end

local function start(input:InputObject, processed:boolean)
    if processed then return nil end
    if input.KeyCode == Enum.KeyCode.R then
        rKeyPressed = true
        connect()
    end
end

local function finish(input:InputObject, processed:boolean)
    if processed then return nil end
    if input.KeyCode == Enum.KeyCode.R then
        rKeyPressed = false
    end
end

uis.InputBegan:Connect(start)
uis.InputEnded:Connect(finish)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.