When scrolling down a page in Chrome, it moves to the top of the page on its own

Hello.

I found a bug when viewing the Dev forum in Chrome that when scrolling down, it moves to the top of the page on its own.

Here are the steps to reproduce it.

1. Open the Dev Forum in desktop or mobile version of Chrome.
  2. Search the forum by any word.
    3.Scroll to the bottom of the page and the next topic will load, but it will move to the top of the page by itself.
    *If you quickly scroll to the bottom of the page and let the next topic load, it will happen 99% of the time. If you scroll slowly, it may not occur.

This occurs on both the desktop version (Windows 11) 112.0.5615.138 and the mobile version 112.0.5615.167. It could also be reproduced with MicrosoftEdge.

Thank you.

4 Likes

In step 3 do you mean scroll to the bottom of the Search window that opens up? If that’s the case then that window isn’t a scroll window so you have to click More at the bottom of the window.

I’m on Chrome on a Windows 10 computer, but I can try my Windows 11 version at home. I can’t recall having the issue there though and I use the Search window a lot.

1 Like

Yes, I am just noticing this. I am on a Desktop Mac.

Hello everyone.
I have captured a screen capture as I think it is easier for you to understand if you actually see it in person rather than in text.
I am using incognito mode to reproduce this because the Chrome I normally use has a lot of plugins in it.

Very interesting, seems to reset the page every time it loads more content

1 Like

Is this problem due to a unique environment, as apparently some people are unable to reproduce it?
I am using a Japanese environment and I am thinking that may be one of the causes.
(I have auto-translation turned off in the capture video to prevent malfunctions.)

this might have something to do with your chrome settings
do you know if this happens on other websites when they load new sections of a page?

The same phenomenon occurs when using Edge with default settings that are not usually used at all.
Or is there an option hidden somewhere that retains the page position that I am unaware of?

I don’t know of any other site that scrolls incessantly like this, but if I find one, I’ll give it a try!

Does this issue occur for you on other Discourse forums, such as meta.discourse.org?

Do you have any browser extensions enabled that could be causing this issue? It would be helpful if you could disable extensions, restart your browser and try and see if that is causing any of the issues you are seeing.

I am also experiencing this issue, and it does not occur on meta.discourse.org.

Disabling all extensions and restarting my browser does not remediate the issue.

1. I tried it in meta.discourse.org and forums.unrealengine.com and they both seems to be fine

2. I went to incogito and nothing has changed, even restarting the browser

Can reproduce. This bug is very annoying and inconvenient. Especially when trying to find a resource.

Hello, I am glad that the Roblox staff is concerned about this issue.
I performed the same operation on the site you presented and could not reproduce it at all.
This seems to be a Dev Forum specific issue.
Also, as you can see from the video, I reproduced it in incognito mode to see if the plugin was affected.
I don’t use FireFox, Opera, etc. so I don’t know if I can reproduce this issue.

Noted thanks everyone, I will ask someone to look at this issue.

5 Likes

This is still an issue to this day, months later.