When starting Studio from a complete system shutdown, sometimes the wrong scripts are open

Problem

Sometimes when starting Studio, the wrong script tabs are open. Some of the scripts haven’t been touched in months and they are open in Studio. This only happens on startup. If the computer comes back from sleep and I have Studio running, the tabs are where I left them. It’s almost like it’s loading in an old version of the save or something. This has been going on for awhile, just got around to reporting it.

I wish to point out that this happened on a full computer system shutdown and restart. After starting Studio after the system restart, the issue occurred.

This is happening in The Proving Grounds: 5207881632 (Place ID)

Additional Information

Parameter Value
Problem Area Studio
Problem Component Script Editor Tabs
First Noticed Unknown
Priority Routine
Impact Minor
Annoyance Level Perturbed

The beta features that I have enabled are as follows:

• AI-Powered Texture Generator
  • Assistant Preview
  • Faster Play Solo
  • Material Generator
  • Notched Screen Support
  • Notification Overhaul
  • Updated Docking System
  • Updated Roblox Controls

As for plugins, I have a bunch that are installed, but very few are enabled. The ones that are enabled are listed below with links to their details page on the Roblox store website:

Expectations

What I expect to happen is when Studio is fully shutdown and I start it back up again, when I open the previous place, the tabs are are open should be the same ones that were open when I shut Studio down.

Visuals

Not Really

Reproduction

Unfortunately, this is occurring sporadically. Most of the time it does not do it, but once in a while it will. I have not been able to pin down what conditions causes this. It seems to happen more often when I fully shut the computer down and then perform a cold boot awhile later. Not sure if this is connected or not.

Files

Log/Registry Files Attached

A private message is associated with this bug report

1 Like

Thanks for the report! Just sent this over to the team. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can :slight_smile:

Hi Maelstorm, when this occurs (if you can remember) do you shutdown Studio and then shutdown the computer, or is Studio exiting as part of the shutdown? Or do you normally just shutdown and let Windows take care of exiting things?

Studio only saves its layout state (where docking windows and such are) as part of its exit process. So to get something to “stick” you have to shut studio down fully. I’m wondering if this isn’t happening properly on a windows shutdown - or maybe its a case where windows forcefully terminates Studio on shutdown because its taking a while and it doesn’t get a chance to save. This may be the case as you indicate it only happens some of the time.

For me this issue happens in any of described cases. Either if I firstly close Studio and then shut Windows, or if they are shut both at once - scripts are always either randomly opened or not opened at all.

I specifically shut Studio down first then shutdown or restart the computer. Part of my SOP is to close all open programs before doing a system shutdown/restart so data is saved to disk and not lost.

Like I said in the original report, when I open Studio (usually happens after turning the computer on or after full system restart), the wrong scripts are open from when I originally closed Studio. I know it’s weird, but it happens occasionally. I was hoping the log files provided could shed some light on why it’s doing this.

But not in any other case where shutdown is not involved? Like just closing Studio, then some time later opening it you don’t notice scripts out of place?

Just closing studio makes same thing - either scripts are opened from some much older sessions, or they are not opened at all. Second case (nothing opened) occurs MUCH more frequently.

Sorry, not sure I was clear. I mean the following:

• Open studio, open a place, open some scripts, note their ordering
  • Close studio
  • Open studio, open the place, note the script ordering

Expected: Scripts should be in the same order
Actual: Different scripts are open, and/or in a different order.

No shutdown involved. Do you get the expected results of seeing the same thing in this case?

1 Like

Everything you described here is what I receive almost every time.

Same as without shutdown mostly.

Also, important note: such issues occur ONLY to published / saved to roblox places. If I open them from local file - everything is normal, even on shutdown.

Not all the time. Like I said, it happens randomly. To me anyways, it seems to happen more if the system is shutdown/restarted than any time else. It sounds like @GamEditoPro is experiencing the issue more than I am.

1 Like

Ah, that is interesting, thank you for the details, that is helpful.

1 Like

As @GamEditoPro pointed out, I also wish to add that this has never occurred while editing a local file. It has only occurred when editing games which are saved to the cloud.

2 Likes

Dunno if this is related but sometimes when I launch studio random plugins open, along with toolbox and terrain generator

Just did it to me again.

Those are not the same tabs that I had open earlier today. Those are more like for a few days ago. And this was from a system restart. The machine crashed when I tried to wake it from sleep so it had to be restarted, and Studio was open at the time too. With that being said, Studio was restarted a few times since then, even going through an update. These are about the tabs that I had open…

Thanks for the additional info - I think we’re focusing in on the issue here around where the data is stored and more importantly when it is stored. Layout information is stored in the system registry (on Win) and open scripts with the place. So at some point we’re either not saving the script location or the save fails. I’m wondering if there was any notion of data loss when you noticed the scripts were out of order - the system crashed on wake, did you also lose the work previous to putting the system to sleep?

Also, since you’ve confirmed these aren’t local saves, can you indicate whether these are Team Create places or just cloud save places? Or maybe you’ve seen it on both?

I haven’t noticed any data loss but most of my work has been with the code. I saved to the cloud before putting the computer to sleep. I always save before placing the computer in sleep mode. These are just cloud saves since I don’t have team create enabled.