Where did you learn how to build on roblox studio?

I used a mixture of tutorials, references and my own personal experience. I would recommend this as it’s a good mixture of gaining new information on how to make your builds better as well as gaining practice.

I’d also recommend finding decently sized goals and work your way up to more advanced building which takes more time. Learning to build is also learning how to be patient and it gets easier the more you do it since you’ll understand your limits.

In terms of low poly building like you stated, I’d find some reference images online and try to mimic it in roblox. Doesn’t have to be too big, just some assets that you could even potentially use in the future like trees, lamps or benches so you don’t have to keep re-creating the same thing. There’s so many low poly scenes around the internet for you to gain inspiration from. I’d also recommend having a look at Blender as it can be a really useful and easy to use tool for low poly.

Either way though, it’s all up to you and what you want to build. My end point here is just try your best, don’t rush the process and overall have fun while building. Good luck in your future endeavors!

2 Likes

I went on to google, got an image of something (in this case a house) and built it in studio.

It’s not perfect, but I found it really useful having some reference.

You should also find a building style you like enjoying doing.

Hope this helps lol

6 Likes

I am not the biggest fan of building (i just get bored of it). I am more of a scripter but my friend showed me Roblox. So I researched it a bit more and found out you can make your own games!

The first few of my games were trash and full of free models but then I just practiced, since then I have just been getting better. Later I found out about blender and how to use it. I LOVE THE WAY LOW-POLY LOOKS!

I want to make great builds someday in the future.

3 Likes

At first, I couldn’t build at all. My builds were horrible. Know how I learned to build? Strange as this may sound, I became a set designer at Emerald Theatre! Emerald Theatre set designers use F3X tools to build sets. F3X is a tool you can use in roblox studio as well. Emerald Theatre allows people to assign you something to build (just like commissions) and build as a team (just like a group project). Here is some of the stuff I am capable of, after doing Emerald Theatre, and then building on the skills I learned there.

1 Like

I had someone join me in a team create and they tutored me on building, from there I’ve grown a lot. Same guy went onto make Finders Keepers on roblox.

I would suggest joining games that mimic the style you’re shooting for and just seeing what they did, I’ve personally found that incredibly helpful.

If you need any specific help shoot me a message on Dev Forum and I’d be more than happy to help!

3 Likes

I learned how to build by watching some YouTube videos from RoBuilder giving some tips to improve and also checking out a ultimate guide of how to make a modern Sci-Fi building in here, Roblox DevForum.

After seeing them, I did some tests and they looked very awesome.

2 Likes

I consider myself self-taught for the most part, with some help through old friends. I’ve been developing for about 5 years now - since I was 11 years old. I started out with Romanesque Architecture, then I experimented with low-poly styles and finally found my calling last year with industrial and sci-fi high-to-mid poly builds.

Whenever I build, I tend to look at reference images when recreating scenes from real life or whenever I’m out of ideas; otherwise, I let my imagination get the better of me.

1 Like

Building tends to be a very simple concept, however, it is not! Building requires practise and dedication; keeping a clear mind and having a good amount of ideas will give you a head start. I developed building knowledge by considering depth and small details. Personally my advice would be to practise and learn from others as well as yourself, however many people rush into making a huge game when in reality a new builder should focus on creating models for the community to leave feedback on! Consider depth, textures and colours to start with, as an example let’s say you have a pillar that is simply one brick well what could we add to it? More bricks and little details! Heres an example:

That was just a quick example I made but what it’s highlighting is that you should consider other aspects of a build whilst considering performance etc! To any new builders out there I would suggest using real life pictures for inspiration and make sure to learn how to use the studio tools correctly.

Good luck building :slight_smile: !

2 Likes

I started building about three years ago, making pretty mediocre builds at first (flat walls, blinding color pallets) before I took a look at some freemodels and slightly modified them to get better and better. After that, I became confident enough to create my own builds. Here are a few main tips I learned on the way:

• Look at flat walls that lack detail. Add things like pillars, structural support, or textures to that area to break up the blandness.
  • Pick a good color pallet that suits your build (no one likes to see bright neon on solid black)
  • Try not to use blocky shapes all the time - mix it up with some angels and curves.

I outline these tips in full detail + more in my guide, here. While it is geared towards sci-fi builds, all of the tips explained in the guide can be applied to other areas of building and design.

Other resources that helped me learn is looking at videos surrounding design theory and how to execute your build correctly, like this one. This video in particular really helped me step up my building game.

The rest of it was really just experimentation and a long time thinking about what exactly I wanted to do - a good driver was looking at something I made and thinking “That’s not good enough” which really pushed my skills to the limit.

Here’s an example of where I started:

To modifying free models: image
Refining my skills:

And finally, today:

8 Likes

I downloaded studio and I used it. I didn’t follow tutorials, I just used my gut to follow what looked good and I developed more intuitive building processes along the way.

1 Like

Practice is important but what I did is to look at Speedbuilds I recommend.

(He got me into Building)

And to find Low poly tutorials do one of these things, Look at the builder you look up to, What makes it so characteristic to them and what can you do to make it look similar. for Low poly, you probably need to use blender for a lot of your builds

and another thing you can do is seek constant feedback, cause if you do not you might get better but it will take you way longer to improve. but to stand out you can take low poly and make your own spin on it like using mostly Pastel colors or make the low models curvier etc. good luck on your building journey and when you get pretty good Join RAR but don’t talk to aerial. (sorry I did not say enough I do mostly Realistic Builds so not so experienced with Low Poly)

5 Likes

I learned to build by playing with the parts and looking at free models and trying to recreate them.

2 Likes

I learned the hard way, just kept on building and building without watching any tutorials until I figured what some tools do. I kept on doing that until I honed my building skills to my likings. Recently I learn more whenever I’m playing a showcase or watching a speed build. As for your cafe, I highly recommend you look up cafes online, and whenever you build don’t stress out. It doesn’t matter how many times you fail since you also gain experience from failure.

4 Likes

I became an addict to admin abuse games and mastered Building Tools by F3X. I then discovered the F3X plugin and slowly incorporated Roblox’s built-in tools into my building techniques.

2 Likes

I never learned, I just developed it naturally

2 Likes

I’d recommend going to HiddenDevs creation section and just looking at the builds people have made. Dont be afraid to ask questions as in what plugins they used, what parts/meshes did they use for the roof etc. Just look at other people’s build and take motivation to make it better which is how i started out. I first started out scripting but realized that I enjoyed building way more than I do scripting and here I am now.

1 Like

M a g i c. I don’t really know. I think I watched a tutorial on it but I can’t remember their name. I still don’t know how to script.

2 Likes

I learned to build by just messing around with free model and whenever something catches my eyes i’ll just recrate it and try to build it in my style. and when I got pass that line I just build whatever came in my mind.

1 Like

three years of looking at how free models worked, occasionally figuring out a very useful tool and wondering how i hadn’t discovered it earlier, and then just trying to copy concepts from irl examples into my designs for a while after that

no regrets

1 Like

Pretty much just from messing around in studio and making some terrible builds. It allowed me to learn from mistakes. I picked up a few plug ins and just challenged myself and continued to build.

Looking at other games as well allows you to get an idea of how things are built.
The dev forum is also a very useful tool.

1 Like